AP Twitter account compromised, tweets White House attack

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The Associated Press’ Twitter account was hacked earlier today and used to distribute a tweet claiming explosions at the White House had injured President Barack Obama. The account was suspended by Twitter shortly after the tweet was sent out.

The publication’s White House correspondent Julie Pace confirmed the account was hacked while press secretary Jay Carney verified that the president was safe and sound. The false news, however, sent strong shockwaves across social media sites as well as the stock market.

twitter white house hacking ap associated press

The Dow Jones industrial average dropped more than 150 points as news of the “attack” spread on Twitter, showing just how connected people are with the microblogging platform. Once it became clear that nothing had actually happened at the White House, the market almost immediately recouped its losses.

A spokesperson for the publication noted that the Associated Press had found malware installed on some company computers over the past couple of days which may have allowed hackers to steal the company’s Twitter login credentials.

A follow-up message from AP reporter Mike Baker said the attack might have originated from a spear phishing campaign. This is similar to a traditional e-mail phishing attempt with the exception that it appears to come from someone within the recipient’s company or a close friend.

twitter white house hacking ap associated press

A group called the Syrian Electronic Army has claimed credit for the attack although it’s unclear at this hour if they are actually the ones responsible for the erroneous tweet.

Permalink to story.

Heh...I'll bet the guy who set up the AP Twitter account with a weak password won't have a job for long.

God I'm glad I don't use twitter, I swear I hear a story about twitter accounts getting hacked almost once a week.

God I'm glad I don't use twitter, I swear I hear a story about twitter accounts getting hacked almost once a week.
The worst part is that the Dow plunged 200 points after that was posted... sigh.
dow_large.PNG

We have too much of a reliance on that garbage. The only reason I made a twitter was to keep up with tech news, but I literally get the same info from my feeds.

The worst part is that the Dow plunged 200 points after that was posted... sigh.
dow_large.PNG

We have too much of a reliance on that garbage. The only reason I made a twitter was to keep up with tech news, but I literally get the same info from my feeds.

The market is emotional. Major news like that triggers algorithms and human traders try to get out (or short) as fast as possible, else they get run over by the train. The result is liquidity dries up and price blazes to the nearest area of major supply/demand, taking out anyone who gets in the way. Same thing happened across most U.S. markets.

The market is emotional. Major news like that triggers algorithms and human traders try to get out (or short) as fast as possible, else they get run over by the train. The result is liquidity dries up and price blazes to the nearest area of major supply/demand, taking out anyone who gets in the way. Same thing happened across most U.S. markets.
True.

Oh come on Burty, you'll never make me believe you don't care what I'm doing right how...........(wait for it)........I just hooked up a mic to a digital delay and my guitar amp. Now I'm laughing psychotically.........

Reminds me of how rothschild took over the world, When napelon was at war the rothschilds spread a rumor that napoleon had lost and the bankers all assumed their bank was to be took over so they quickly sold all their stocks to get materials, which caused extreme deflation and because rothchild started the rumor he bought stocks for pennies on the dollar. And that day he pretty much bought the entire bank of england. Now days these banks owned by the rothschilds are jp morgan and chase bank of america etc.bros which are all fronts for them. U don't have to believe me look it up <------:)

Heck, I thought the AP WAS the White House, along with NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, MSNBC and to an extent, Fox. None of them are journalist....Journalist, ASK QUESTIONS, these clowns pretty much just repeat what the White House says.

Heck, I thought the AP WAS the White House, along with NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS, MSNBC and to an extent, Fox. None of them are journalist....Journalist, ASK QUESTIONS, these clowns pretty much just repeat what the White House says.

True that man, The real questions get horrified looks from politicians and other puppets of the like I remember one where an infowars reporter( one of the few true news source in the world) The female talked straight to bill gates a few months ago her question was something along these lines "why do you own 500,000 shares of monsanto" as well as why do you fund corporations that have well known child slavery rings and as to why his polio vaccines have paralyzed 50000 kids internationally. The look on his face for about 0.5 secs is pure terror.

Back