Apparent Fan/Mobo problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgive me if I'm not correct requesting help here, but I saw no information regarding otherwise.

I have a Pentium Four Windows XP Computer. I am terrible with computers. I really haven't a clue what it is any more specific than that. It's been a hot summer up here - in Central Canada. 28-34 Celsius easy. The computer seemed to be freezing up some. This wasn't normal freezing, control-alt-delete freezing - this was total windows - CPU - everything stopping. The only solution to this is to press in the button until my computer shuts down, or to unplug it. Now, though, every time I go to turn on my computer, the light flashes on for second, booting after a pause, then beeping till it's shut off, not doing anything. If I shut it off and try again, it either repeats this, or the light turns on yellow, my fan turning on and being very very loud, as though it had a problem and was trying to clear it out. When this happends, even the pre-windows part of my computer booting up does not happen. Someone mentioned that "my computer could have overheated and fried my motherboard," but I doubt it's quite as serious as that. If anyone has any tips, or any solutions, or even any information as to where I could go to fix this, it'd be very much so appreciated, thanks.

it DOES SEEM likely that your fan isn't cooling your cpu and the pc is shutting down before permanent damage is done, if it hasn't been done already.
If you truly know nothing about pc's then you need to find someone who does and ask them to check the HFS (Heatsink & Fan) that cools your cpu. If they delcare its borked, then replace it. BUT, be prepared that it may have damaged your cpu and/or your motherboard.
Its also possible that it could be power related. So again ask someone in the know to check the psu quality.
Changing the psu and hsf are the cheapest option before going to buy a new cpu and mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back