Apple announces iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max with always-on display, 48MP camera and A16...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
What just happened? Apple just wrapped up its annual fall hardware event where it unveiled the new iPhone 14 lineup. As in years past, the new family of phones is divided into mainstream offerings and pro-grade solutions. The latter typically affords premium amenities like better cameras and greater storage capacity at a higher price point, and the same holds true this time around.

The iPhone 14 Pro features a 6.1-inch OLED display (2,556 x 1,179 pixels, 460 PPI) while the larger iPhone 14 Pro Max packs a 6.7-inch OLED panel (2,796 x 1,290 pixels, 460 PPI). Both models utilize a stainless steel edge design with a textured matte glass rear and a ceramic shield front coating.

Spec-wise, both offer 1000 nits of typical max brightness, 1600 nits of peak HDR brightness and up to 2000 nits of peak brightness outdoors. They also use Apple's ProMotion tech which can automatically adjust the screen's refresh rate from 1Hz to 120Hz depending on what is being displayed, either to conserve battery life or maximize fluidity.

New for 2022 is an always-on display that makes the time, widgets and other live activity available at a glance. The notch is now the Dynamic Island, a software-driven experience that consolidates notifications, alerts and activities into a single, shape-shifting space that adapts depending on the background activity using it.

Apple also redesigned the TrueDepth camera, making it 31 percent smaller to take up less space on the display.

Powering the iPhone 14 Pro series is the new A16 Bionic featuring a six-core GPU (two high-performance cores, four efficiency cores) that Apple claims is up to 40 percent faster than the competition. It's built on a 4nm process and packs nearly 16 billion transistors. The five-core GPU, meanwhile, has 50 percent more memory bandwidth than before while a new 16-core Neural Engine can perform nearly 17 trillion operations per second.

Notably, the A16 Bionic is only available in the Pro lineup. The standard iPhone 14 and iPhone 14 Plus are shipping with last year's A15 Bionic.

The rear-facing Pro camera system on the handsets is comprised of a 48-megapixel quad-pixel main camera that sits behind a seven-element, f/1.78 aperture lens. There's also a 12-megapixel ultra-wide camera with 13mm focal length, a 120-degree field of view and a f/2.2 aperture, six-element lens as well as a 12-megapixel, 77mm telephoto camera with f/2.8 aperture and six-element lens that offers 3x optical zoom.

Apple further touts a "fourth" camera, a 12-megapixel 2x telephoto that is enabled by cropping the quad-pixel sensor. A redesigned True Tone flash now features an array of nine LEDs that change pattern based on the focal length in use for optimal results. A sapphire crystal lens covering protects the rear elements.

Up front, there's a new TrueDepth 12-megapixel shooter with f/1.9 aperture, six-element lens that uses autofocus for the first time.

The new iPhone 14 Pro models also support Apple's Emergency SOS via satellite functionality. Launching in November and free for the first two years, the service will use satellites orbiting Earth to enable emergency messaging when outside of cellular or Wi-Fi coverage. The feature can also be used to manually share your location with Find My to provide a sense of security while hiking or camping off the grid.

Apple was expected to debut this feature last year with the iPhone 13 but it never materialized. T-Mobile and Starlink jointly announced a similar feature just a couple of weeks ago.

Another new safety-minded feature is crash detection, which relies on a dual-core accelerometer and a high dynamic range gyroscope to detect G-force measurements of up to 256G. Combined with existing components like the barometer and microphones, the feature can detect a crash and automatically dial emergency services on your behalf.

Battery life is rated at up to 23 hours of video playback on the iPhone 14 Pro and up to 29 hours on the iPhone 14 Pro Max. Both are fast-charge capable and can receive a 50 percent charge in about 30 minutes, and carry an IP68 rating against dust and liquids.

The iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max go up for pre-order on September 9 ahead of availability on September 16. Pricing starts at $999 for the iPhone 14 Pro and $1,099 for the iPhone 14 Pro Max with the entry-level 128GB storage option. Each is being offered in your choice of black, silver, gold or purple colorways with additional storage capacities at 256GB, 512GB and 1TB.

Permalink to story.

The camera hump is even larger then the last phone. Apple really, REALLY doesn't want to give you a bigger battery.

Just make the back smooth and give us that 5000+ mah dammit.

If I spent time in the wilderness I could see how the satellite feature would be nice. Otherwise I feel no excitement for anything here vs. my 4 year old phone which still works fine, although it could use a new battery.

Is anyone else slightly annoyed about the use of the world bionic ? without readng or delving into it - assume the argumant is a silicon neural AI thingy - nothing about that is Bio .
It's life Jim, but not as we know it .
Anyway suppose Musk is only years away from cyborg implant chip

If I spent time in the wilderness I could see how the satellite feature would be nice. Otherwise I feel no excitement for anything here vs. my 4 year old phone which still works fine, although it could use a new battery.
I mean if it's an iPhone might as well get it replaced. My grandma has her 6s plus battery replaced earlier this year, best $49 she's ever spent

The satellite feature is free for two years, so I wonder what the cost will be to include it. Imo it should be free considering it's a safety feature, but I believe Apple was developing own satellite constellation to support it. It'll be defunct in a year or two anyways considering Starlink is going to provide better connectivity to any 5G phone eventually.

Can I say IMO the 14 pro at $999 is far better value than the 14 Plus at $899. You get far better camera system, better SoC, better display, better body and being smaller is irrelevant to me, it's still 6.1" and nice size that will fit in pockets.

The camera hump is even larger then the last phone. Apple really, REALLY doesn't want to give you a bigger battery.

Just make the back smooth and give us that 5000+ mah dammit.

Just make the battery removable, and let us choose our own size. I don’t even mind if you put tech inside it that means you have to use an Apple battery rather than a cheap knockoff that might damage the phone.

Just make the battery removable, and let us choose our own size.
Nothing should be removable. There's no profit in that. Removable battery? Removable memory card? How dare you even suggest such things? Then you could buy batteries and memory cards from a competitor. When you buy from a competitor and not directly from Apple that's practically stealing!

In case you haven't caught on yet, the whole idea with Apple is to buy a brand new thousand dollar phone each year. Period. Pointless to talk about removable this and upgradable that.

I hate notches, and that Apple have made it acceptable makes me think less of them.
Apple doesn't care what you think of them. Just shut your trap and buy the new phone like you always do. Every time I think of iPhone users I get this image in my head:
Ssns07U.jpeg

I cannot help but feel very disappointed with this new iPhone and also watch. For iPhone, Apple seems to like to focus on niche features while omitting basic ones like giving people a finger print scanner unlock and Type C charging port. Their argument has always been that the tech is not proven to work reliably. A few years ago, this may be the case, but now, I think you can decide based on what you observed. Apple Watch is probably worst given that the battery life is just as crappy as I see nothing mentioned about battery life improvement. Apple can cram everything into the watch, but when it’s out of power, none of these really matters. This to me fails at a fundamental level.

Apple doesn't care what you think of them. Just shut your trap and buy the new phone like you always do. Every time I think of iPhone users I get this image in my head:
Ssns07U.jpeg
Objectively, the same can be said about people buying Android flagship phones at launch. You get some freebies at launch, but we’ve seen this happen so many times where the phone prices will start trending down after a month and drop to its lowest as soon as the next gen gets announced.

Nothing should be removable. There's no profit in that. Removable battery? Removable memory card? How dare you even suggest such things? Then you could buy batteries and memory cards from a competitor. When you buy from a competitor and not directly from Apple that's practically stealing!

In case you haven't caught on yet, the whole idea with Apple is to buy a brand new thousand dollar phone each year. Period. Pointless to talk about removable this and upgradable that.
As I said, happy for it to be tied to the phone via tech such as embedded ID tied to apple account or the like. It’s the functionality I want, of course there could be profitability in that.

Just make the battery removable, and let us choose our own size.

I don't understand that concept. The battery IS removable and replaceable! Only not via take easily the cover out and done. My old S8 still has great battery life and if I was to replace the battery for a new one, then it would be at most 50€ to take to a proper service and get the job done.

Apple doesn't care what you think of them. Just shut your trap and buy the new phone like you always do.

Apple now is the most typical company nowadays:
- most companies / managers say: don't think about it, just BUY or DO what we tell you because we know what is good for you.

- the same happens on my company: as a worker we don't have to think if our schedules are fine, fair and if we work the max hours we should and get paid for... the sentence is: WE (managers) are the intelligent guys, you worker (highly qualified) don't have to control, think and demand fairness. Just WORK as told and TRUST that we managers do it right. Well, when I THINK and control my schedules to find out that the managers AREN'T doing their jobs and are making me work much more and badly than they should! Who would though of that?! Who would imagine that the big heads would be wrong and making me work much longer?!

Last edited:
"Launching in November and free for the first two years, the service will use satellites orbiting Earth to enable emergency messaging when outside of cellular or Wi-Fi coverage. The feature can also be used to manually share you location with Find My to provide a sense of security while hiking or camping off the grid."

Just Great...! It would only be a matter of time until NSO Group exploits this feature into their spy software to sell worldwide...!

Bring user replaceable battery, an IR adapter, and a headphone jack and I swear I'll never touch another phone. Of course, I need a charger in the box. And a pair of headphones. And I'll pay 1500 USD for it.
Who am I kidding?! The iSheeple would buy anything, but for a conscious consumer, Apple is a consumer rights doom.
Hopefully, the consumer advocacy groups in EU and not only there will force the Sith Lord Apple to provide atleast a bit of rights for the consumers, concerning the repairs.

Back