Apple delivers iPhone OS 3.0 update, first iPhone 3G S reviews hit the web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

As promised, Apple’s much anticipated iPhone 3.0 software update was officially released today. The 230.1MB download, available through iTunes, is said to contain over 100 new features and enhancements, including the oft-requested copy and paste functionality, MMS, Internet Tethering, full Bluetooth support, turn-by-turn GPS navigation, a kill switch for lost handsets and more. This update is exactly the same as the golden master leaked last week.

The new firmware is designed to take advantage of the latest hardware in the iPhone 3GS, which arrives to Apple and AT&T stores this Friday, but older iPhones will get most of the new features as well – notably missing is MMS and video recording from first-gen models. The 3.0 firmware is free to all iPhone owners and will also be available for the iPod touch priced at $9.95.

Along with the update, it appears that the NDA rules governing product reviews of the new iPhone 3G S has been lifted. You can check some hands-on impressions over at Engadget, CNet and Wall Street Journal.

Permalink to story.

Finally! This update fixes almost all the missing features I've regretted about getting the iPhone.

Now if they can only get rid of the trend follower stigma I feel for owning an iPhone and I'll be golden.

lol. I feel the same way, PanicX.

There's one last (big) thing I'd like to see: multi-tasking.

Push notifications are an OK substitute for a number of programs (instant messengers, scheduling etc..), but it would be really nice to have real background tasks.

Some other (mostly small) complaints I have include lack of *universal* IMAP push support, no mass storage device support, still no MMS or tethering (thanks AT&T!), iTunes lock-in and I can't change some basic things (email notification sounds, for example). Also, there is no way to mark multiple emails as 'read' or a way to hide public email folders (A problem for large companies, mostly)... and I'm sure there's a few more.

Honestly though, the iPhone 3G S with 3.0 is as perfect a mobile phone as currently available (for most people, at least).

Friday is going to be ridiculous. There will be lines out the door for the new iPhone 3G S.

I wont concede to apple but its def an improvement over the last version. Palm Pre is where its at, although I have a storm atm.

I have just updated to the 3.0 but not all apps appeared such as Kompass, Video
Voice memo C&P is on

O do not own a iPhone and given it's limitation to AT&T which is an inferior provider in my area, probably will not for the foreseable future. One thing has long puzzled me about iPhone is why there is no stereo bluetooth capability? Even my simple cell phone supports it and I would not buy another phone that does not.

Is there some technical issue I am unaware of?

One thing has long puzzled me about iPhone is why there is no stereo bluetooth capability?
There is now.

I have just updated to the 3.0 but not all apps appeared such as Kompass, Video
You don't see those things because the hardware doesn't support it - You need an iPhone 3G S.

"You don't see those things because the hardware doesn't support it - You need an iPhone 3G S."

50% incorrect. The iPhone 3G doesn't support Kompass, but it DOES support video, as we've seen on jailbroken devices for years now, so why wouldn't they include that in the update?

50% incorrect. The iPhone 3G doesn't support Kompass, but it DOES support video, as we've seen on jailbroken devices for years now, so why wouldn't they include that in the update?
You're technically correct, but you've seen the video on the iPhone 2G and 3G right? It's awful.. slow, blurry.. although it doesn't look too bad.

For what it's worth, the 3G S does it right. But again, you're technically right on that.. it *can* be done albiet (possibly) not very well.

administrators, before update, saying that was the push feature. however, this feature of making application, that application-related update. is not updated according to the application and features push, push feature is not available. us, it's like did not know. copy and paste feature is not available also a big missing. but this is missing is resolved. Was very good.

I updated my i phone 3 G to the latest OS 3.0 software. It seemed to be a no-problem update untill I noticed that the GPS is no longer working. I can not get an exact fix on maps or other GPS applications I am using. All I get is the GSM network asisted fix which has an accuracy of a few miles. All was working perfectly with the original verios which was 2.0.1.
I called a few friends who also have an i-phone and found out that they also have the same problem after the OS 3.0 update. Also discussion forums clearly indicate that the problem is global. (see link)

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2045075&tstart=0

So, folks where is the solution. I am sure Apple Guys are allrady working on a patch or version 3.0.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back