Apple has some fine print in the pricing of iPhone 12 that you should know about

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
WTF?! Apple just announced its iPhone 12 lineup today. The company seems to be quite proud to offer the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini at a significantly lower price than its flagship Pros. But there's a catch.

At Apple's "Hi, Speed" virtual press event, the company unveiled its newest iPhones. The lower-end iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Mini are a good deal cheaper than the Pro models. The standard model is $799, and the Mini is $699. These price points are a good deal lower than the $999 and $1,099 Pro versions.

However, what Apple did not mention in its keynote was that the starting prices for the iPhone 12 and the Mini only apply to AT&T and Verizon subscribers. For everyone else, the two devices start at $829 and $729, respectively. In other words, if you are a T-Mobile or Sprint customer, or if you just want an unlocked iPhone 12, you are going to pay $30 more for that privilege. This "instant discount" does not apply to the Pros, which are the same price no matter what carrier you have.

In Apple's press release for its budget phones, it had a footnote regarding the pricing. The fine print reads, "Price includes a $30 AT&T or Verizon discount. Requires activation with carrier." It also listed some limitations on the trade-in pricing noting that exchanges will vary on the condition and model of the iPhone being turned in, but this is pretty standard and expected.

What was not expected was that Apple would put such a price discrepancy as a small footnote. It's not like $30 is going to break anyone's bank. It could have been forthright by saying the phones are $729 and $829 and then mentioned a discount for AT&T and Verizon customers, and nobody would have batted an eye.

The reasoning probably lies with the old marketing strategy of marking products down a dollar or a penny less to make it look cheaper. Subliminally, $799 looks much cheaper than $800 even though there is only a a one dollar difference. Still, the way it was handled looks a bit underhanded and misleading. It's not a good look for a company in the middle of antitrust battles on all fronts.

Permalink to story.

Apple's press release for its budget phones, it had a footnote regarding the pricing. The reads, "Price includes a $30 AT&T or Verizon discount. Requires activation with carrier." It also listed some limitations on the trade-in pricing noting that exchanges will vary on the condition and model of the iPhone being turned in, but this is pretty standard and expected

What was not expected was that Apple would put such a price discrepancy as a small footnote. It's not like $30 is going to break anyone's bank. It could have been forthright by saying the phones are $729 and $829 and then mentioned a discount for AT&amp;T and Verizon customers, and nobody would have batted an eye.</p>
Since when has Apple's marketing ever had "a good look"?

Since I am not mobile phone owner, (I know, I'm really out of touch), I find that an $800.00, (Sorry $799.00), phone listed as "budget", to be cringe worthy in and of itself.

The real outrage ought to be why do not AT&T and Verizon charge you an extra 30? Come on people, what do I get for that $30?

The real outrage ought to be why do not AT&T and Verizon charge you an extra 30? Come on people, what do I get for that $30?
If I understood the article correctly, "an unlocked phone".

Keep in mind I am skating on thin ice regarding any post I make to a thread regarding mobile phones, since never having owned one myself.

Since when has Apple's marketing ever had "a good look"?

Since I am not mobile phone owner, (I know, I'm really out of touch), I find that an $800.00, (Sorry $799.00), phone listed as "budget", to be cringe worthy in and of itself.
Well, Apple doesn't call them budget. And I agree, they are nowhere near budget pricing, but it gets repetitive calling them "the cheaper models" over and over. I just tagged them budget because they are the entry-level of the new iPhones.

"Apple was a marketing company. It was the marketing company of the decade."

- former Apple CEO John Sculley, 1997

Nothing's changed. They still market better than any other large company out there.

Well, Apple doesn't call them budget. And I agree, they are nowhere near budget pricing, but it gets repetitive calling them "the cheaper models" over and over. I just tagged them budget because they are the entry-level of the new iPhones.
Well of course, as continually calling then, "the cheap model", would be unacceptably, "politically incorrect". Thus, calling them "entry level", unavoidably becomes a euphemism for, "budget".

The term, "budget", hands the insecurity of a lack of financial well being, down to the customer. Sic: "dear god have I sunk so low, I'm only capable of buying a ticket to the bleachers". :rolleyes: Thus precipitating a quick call to his or her credit card company, begging for an increase in credit limit.

This is of course, pure satire. Nonetheless, LMAO. :laughing:

Last edited:
These carrier are probably having $30 activation fee.
But, at the end of the day, wouldn't buying the unlocked version from Apple, and then deciding to go to the Verizon network, cause you to be charged another fee (30,00?), for activation?

They'd sell just as many without the - *$30 discount. This is nothing to be upset about imo. Apple buyers def don't care about no $30 difference.

I would have figured the bigger issue would be no charger or headphones included in any box to cut down on ewaste and cost.

There seems to be some confusion. It's not an activation fee. It's a $30 "instant discount" according to Apple's fine print. This discount only applies to Verizon and AT&T customers. Buying it from Sprint or T-Mobile or buying it sim-free will cost you $30 more. So the actual prices of the standard iPhone 12 and the iPhone 12 Mini are $829 and $729, respectively. What is somewhat greasy about it is Apple using that discounted price in its bold-face advertising, then putting the disclaimer way down on footnote number 9 in the fine print.

Here is the actual press release where you can see exactly where this notification is placed: Apple Press Release

Ave Imperator, morituri from confusion and boredom after wading through that steaming pile of crap, te salutant

Although I not sure I'd categorize it as, "greasy". To an Apple addict, it's probably more akin to mainlining ecstasy, cut with saccharin

The credit card number is likely typed in, before the plunger hits bottom.

I doubt if they notice the fine print until the total comes up on the sales order, and by then, they no longer care.

Let's be 100% honest here, nobody who gets an iPhone cares about discounts. If they did, they wouldn't be buying iPhones. These are people who are so under the spell of consumerism that it's laughable.

I find that Apple users remind me a lot of Volkswagen drivers. Your typical Apple user knows nothing about tech and your typical Volkswagen driver knows nothing about cars. However, they're both willing to pay the premium for the "prestige" that the marques carry (among other non-experts) and are oblivious to the industry experts who snicker at the level of their ignorance.

You do get the odd expert who actually likes Apple and/or Volkswagen (after all, someone is bound to like them for whatever reason while still knowing what they're getting into) but they are the tiny exception that proves the rule. It's kind of like someone who fancies themself to be a horology afficionado because they own a Rolex or Omega while Patek Phillipe and A.Lange & Sohne owners snicker at them for the same reasons.

And also the 12 basic had just 64gb storage, make it 128 and the price for non Verizon version is 879...

At this point I'd prefer to pay 999 for the pro.

@MaestroIT - Yeah, its price creep though, and at some point you need to draw the line. I'm an Apple user (and PC too), but I buy phones so infrequently it might make sense for me to just spring for the Pro and hold off for another phone for years..... however the Mini with 128 is fine I think, I don't want a phablet. I'm on an 8 now that I bought used. It replaced my regular 6 that I did buy new, but not at release.

@Cal Jeffrey Well, I'm going to wedge this 'gem' into this topic.

Here's the preamble. We tend to think of new technology metaphorically, as being 'born'. I assume you could attach that to a new run of iPhones as well.

At any rate, 'birth', is a messy process, and here's its 'placenta"
direct

And so boyz & gurlz, always remember that yo iPhones mama's afterbirth, is in there somewhere.

I tried to find the image in a size suitable for y'all to set as a desktop background. But alas, no joy. Although, I suppose you could always upscale it in Photoshop

Here's something to smooth out those bunched up panties:

images

Feel better now?

Last edited:
There seems to be some confusion. It's not an activation fee. It's a $30 "instant discount" according to Apple's fine print. This discount only applies to Verizon and AT&T customers. Buying it from Sprint or T-Mobile or buying it sim-free will cost you $30 more. So the actual prices of the standard iPhone 12 and the iPhone 12 Mini are $829 and $729, respectively. What is somewhat greasy about it is Apple using that discounted price in its bold-face advertising, then putting the disclaimer way down on footnote number 9 in the fine print.

Here is the actual press release where you can see exactly where this notification is placed: Apple Press Release
Me thinks Cal be confuzed. The press release reads:
9. Price includes a $30 AT&T or Verizon discount. Requires activation with carrier.
Cubi is just suggesting that both companies probably charge a $30 activation fee, thus making up the difference.

Me thinks Cal be confuzed. The press release reads:
9. Price includes a $30 AT&T or Verizon discount. Requires activation with carrier.
Cubi is just suggesting that both companies probably charge a $30 activation fee, thus making up the difference.
And I think you may have just run into the old, "which cam first, the chicken or the egg". dilemma

Back