Apple is offering more for iPhone trade-ins to encourage upgrades

Greg S

Bottom line: Now may be the time to trade-in your old iPhone for an upgrade if you were already planning on upgrading. Up to $100 extra will be granted for devices newer than the iPhone 6 provided they are in good condition.

Price is unquestionably a factor in why iPhone users are upgrading less frequently. Apple did keep prices fairly steady between the launch of the iPhone 4 and debuting the iPhone 8, but the iPhone X gave way to a whole new class of expensive phones.

Also read: The Best Smartphones - In 3 Simple Categories

As a means to entice more users to upgrade their iPhone, Apple is offering greater trade-in value as long as you have an iPhone 6 or newer. Those with an iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6S, or iPhone 6S Plus see the greatest increase in trade-in value, while those with an iPhone 7 Plus or iPhone 8 only get marginally more for their device.

Increased trade-in values are only valid when purchasing a new iPhone XR, iPhone XS, or iPhone XS Max. Original credit amounts can still be obtained in the form of an Apple Store gift card if you just want to get rid of an old device without purchasing a new one.

The trade-in process can be initiated online or in an Apple Store, but going to a store will significantly reduce the amount of time it takes for the process. As always, Apple will verify the condition of a device before accepting it as a trade-in.

Anyone looking to finance their device payments can still do so, but will have their trade-in value applied to the taxes and fees on their new iPhone. Any remaining value after taxes will be given as an Apple Store gift card, which cannot be used to pay for monthly payments since third-parties manage financing programs.

In typical Apple fashion, the deal is available for a limited time only without a listed end date for the promotion.

Permalink to story.

Apple Exec #1 "Hmm the people aren't buying our over priced garbage as much..."

Apple Exec #2 "I know We'll jack up the price of our next product then offer better trades ins!"

Apple Exec #1 "Perfect increase profits and the *****s to buy more!"

If I were an Apple customer, I d be using iPhone 7 plus now. So I would get 250 for it and be left with a choice of a 1000 on average new phone to buy from apple. 1000 -250 = 750. A good deal?

Hell no! This is why I am not an Apple customer and not buying anything in this ridiculous price range. 500 on a new device plus my trade in! I will find something else.

Sales are DOWN, stockholders don't like that.
So they can brag about how many units were "delivered", they offer a trade in, to get people
to buy more, then tell stockholders we "delivered" 100,000 more bla bla bla.

Back