Apple is reportedly about to kill off the iPad Mini

midian182

Staff member

Apple’s iPad Mini, the 7.9-inch tablet that’s been around since 2012, could be getting discontinued. The news comes via a report by BGR, which cites a source “close to Apple.”

It seems the increasing size of iPhones, the new 9.7-inch iPad, and, most importantly, dwindling sales are all behind Apple’s decision. The company contact said “fierce cannibalism of our own products” means the iPad mini has been “sized out of its own category.” They added that sales numbers are “very clear.”

When it first arrived, the iPad Mini’s size made it a popular item among those looking for a more portable tablet during a time when most phones had 3.5-inch displays. Today, the iPhone 7 Plus is just 2.2 inches smaller that the Mini, and, in many ways, is the better option over its tablet cousin.

Additionally, Apple’s recently released Air 2 replacement, the 9.7-inch iPad, costs just $329, making it cheaper than the $399 iPad Mini 4 ($529 if you want built-in LTE) while offering a more powerful processor.

Most analysts expect Apple to unveil a new, 10.5-inch iPad Pro at WWDC next month. It’s said to have the same footprint as the 9.7-inch iPad but with tiny bezels that allow more screen space. With the 12.9-inch Pro also available, Apple may want to push sales of its newer tablets by removing the Mini option from its iPad range.

If it really is the end of the road for the Mini, it’s unclear whether Apple plans to pull it from sale sometime in the near future, or continue selling it for a while longer but without any further updates.

Permalink to story.

With all the smart phones out here, the mini really has lost it's unique spot in the market place. I am surprised that Apple hasn't come up with a much larger iPad with built in-detachable keyboard and a self standing "foot" in the back that would allow it to function independently. Not really unique, but more competitive against the IBM products and frankly, until they come up with a USB port that allows me to save my files, etc. without going through Apple, they will NEVER get any consideration from me or my company .....

I kinda like the iPad mini's size it's easy to carry and hold. Now that bein said I do not own an iPad mini or any iPad for that matter but I do like to test them out in stores.

...until they come up with a USB port that allows me to save my files, etc. without going through Apple, they will NEVER get any consideration from me or my company .....
Take a look at CopyTrans Control Center v4.013 (but it is not freeware). The lightning-usb to the PC is all that is necessary.

Definitely a pricing issue. You can't sell a tablet that does the same thing at nearly the same size as your phone that is double the price.

Definitely a pricing issue. You can't sell a tablet that does the same thing at nearly the same size as your phone that is double the price.
for real. in the name-brand tech market, there really arent many bad products, just some really bad prices. The mini 4 would hold a good place at probably half its current cost with a lower resolution and half the storage capacity, where people just want to get their kids a browsing/"gaming" device.

For the most part, I prefer a phone thats 4.5-5" and a tablet thats 8", but im probably weird. to me 10 inch tablets are a bit unwieldy and id rather have a convertible laptop at that point.

I'm reading this article from my iPad mini 2 which I use extensively everyday for reading everything from news to work related stuff. My (perfectly sized) 4" inch phone is too small for comfortable reading and so is the largest iPhone.

I would certainly miss not having the opportunity to upgrade sometime in the future, although this little tablet hasn't had any problems with what I've thrown at it in the last couple of years.

Back