Apple launches lower-cost iMac, now starting at $1,099

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple imac

Apple on Wednesday launched a cheaper 21.5-inch iMac that brings the baseline cost of ownership down from $1,299 to just $1,099.

The new entry-level iMac ships with a dual-core Intel Core i5 processor clocked at 1.4GHz (Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz), 8GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive and Intel HD 5000 graphics. All iMacs also include 802.11 ac Wi-Fi, two Thunderbolt ports and four USB 3.0 ports for high-speed connectivity.

There are some obvious sacrifices in terms of hardware selection that had to be made to reach the lower price point such as the low-voltage i5 processor (the same one used in the MacBook Air) and the 500GB hard drive.

apple imac

Of course, the system can always be bumped up in the specs department during configuration. For example, one could replace the 500GB drive with a 1TB SATA drive, a 1TB Fusion drive or a 256GB solid state drive for a bit more coin.

It’s not the full iMac refresh that many were likely hoping for but it’s probably all that is coming down the pipeline for now. It’s entirely possible that we won’t see a “true” refresh of the line until Intel launches its Broadwell desktop processor.

The company’s next generation processor will be built on a 14nm manufacturing process as a “Tick” in Intel’s “Tick-Tock” release philosophy. It’ll deliver better power efficiency and improved performance when it arrives later this year.

The new iMac is available today through Apple's Online Store, its retail stores and select authorized resellers.

Permalink to story.

>lower cost
>$1099
no wonder all these hipsters still live with their parents

$1100 and you get a binned i5 and no SSD.

Brilliant. And I bet people will be frothing over this.

I am an Apple fan but I think this is absolutely pathetic. "Low-cost" my a**... Sell this for $799 and then you can say "low cost". Also, if I were Apple, I would have taken this time to make 7200RPM drives default rather than introducing an overpriced and under-specced machine.

The only redeeming quality about apple products, and I mean the only thing, is that they use IPS panels in all their products. Screen quality is one thing apple does right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=21.5" IPS&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

For those wondering it uses a mobile Core i5, the i5-4260U.

I always wanted a desktop PC that can't easily be moved, requires mains power and has the performance of a low-end notebook. Ohh and I wanted to pay twice as much as a desktop PC that would offer twice as much performance.

Last edited:
The only redeeming quality about apple products, and I mean the only thing, is that they use IPS panels in all their products. Screen quality is one thing apple does right.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=21.5" IPS&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=100

I always wanted a desktop PC that can't easily be moved, requires mains power and has the performance of a low-end notebook. Ohh and I wanted to pay twice as much as a desktop PC that would offer twice as much performance.
or twice as much as a laptop and similar sized monitor that performs that same.

all of those are true, aside from screen quality, which you didn't mention. Apple is hands down the biggest rip off in the tech world. I will, however, giver credit where credit is due. Apple has some of the best displays on the market. Overpriced? Absolutely. They do, however, put high quality displays in all of their devices.

all of those are true, aside from screen quality, which you didn't mention. Apple is hands down the biggest rip off in the tech world. I will, however, giver credit where credit is due. Apple has some of the best displays on the market. Overpriced? Absolutely. They do, however, put high quality displays in all of their devices.

I provided a link to dozens of 21.5" IPS panels that are very affordable and many are just as good as Apples.

All the graphic designer/photography/other arty types will run out to buy this in the misconception that "It's so much better than a PC". Once you launch 3DMax/Maya/Adobe CS/Photoshop/Lightroom the differences in OS aren't really a factor in my opinion. I'd rather have the best specifications and performance for the money than a shiny toy with a nice form factor.

Could not have said it better myself Arris. They are a joke really and its a shame so many buy into the marketing without really knowing that they are buying.

I love the fact that if you want a 256GB SSD it costs an extra $250, the Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB costs less than $200 so what are they using? Even worse that's after you remove the 500GB hard drive, awesome deal :S

I'm doing an online photography course and it's scary as soon as someone posts on the forums "What sort of computer should I get for editing photos?" the number of people that reply "Get a macbook, they are great!". If you ask them what is so great about them they probably would fail to come up with a good answer. Probably "It looks cool and is from Apple".

I think where Apple gain most sales is from technophobes who just want something that works without any effort. If you think about "pre-built" systems for PCs many would consider Apple superior to PC builders (Dell, HP etc.), and in many ways rightly so.

My wife is a graphic designer and the publishing company that she worked for previously swore that Mac’s were the only things that could be used for their work, after all they were creative types.

Problem was they had a dozen employees all using Mac’s with some many years old (several in fact). They couldn’t afford to keep upgrading them because the models they used cost more than $3000 each, from memory they were more around the $4-5K mark.

Anyway my wife refused to use them after a few years of suffering slow speeds compared to her high-end desktop PC at home. Finally her boss gave in and paid $1500 for a high-end Core i7 PC with a decent monitor. I am guessing for the money the boss was expecting a heap of junk. A few months after its arrival the entire magazine was getting compiled on the PC each month because it was well over 10x faster than their best Mac, which admittedly was a few years old.

She stopped working there about 3 years ago but before she left they were already in the process of upgrading all the Mac’s to PC’s. It took 5 years to convince them and I never thought I would see the day.

Addressing your system builder comment Arris I kinda agree... The only problem I see with Dell and HP systems is that they come loaded with way to much bloatware that slows them down and makes them a pain to use.

Things are now changing. When professional users used Macs years ago they had software packages that cost even more than the computers themselves. This was probably a detrimental to the switch to PC as they'd have to buy completely new software suites so the cost comparison was the "cheaper PC + software" vs "Expensive Mac (+ maybe low software update cost)". With many software companies now switching to subscription models instead of one off license purchases switching might be a more common occurrence than in the past.

Hopefully no more of those awful "I'm a PC/I'm a Mac" adverts though thanks!

The problem with all these PC is they are WINDOWS AND WINDOWS STILL SUCKS

...[ ]...I always wanted a desktop PC that can't easily be moved, requires mains power and has the performance of a low-end notebook. Ohh and I wanted to pay twice as much as a desktop PC that would offer twice as much performance.
I see what you're trying to do here. Make the inverse square law attach to Apple price vs. performance.

Back