Apple quarterly report shows continued demand for iPhone, iPad

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s second quarter earnings exceeded analyst estimates despite the fact that many thought Cupertino would come up short. The company reported earnings of $9.5 billion on sales of $43.6 billion, topping Apple’s own expectations of $41 billion to $43 billion.

Cupertino sold 37.4 million iPhones and 19.5 million iPads during the quarter, besting estimates of 34 million units and 18 million to 19 million units, respectively. Consumers snapped up 5.6 million iPods and just south of 4 million Macs, we’re told.

A year ago, Apple earned $11.6 billion in profit on sales of just $39.2 billion. The drop in profit year-over-year is the first in a decade and represents an 18 percent drop from a year ago. The last time there was a yearly decline was in early 2003 when Apple was struck by an economic downturn as well as an ongoing restructuring effort.

But despite the lower profit, CEO Tim Cook said the company was pleased to report record March revenue thanks to continued strong performance from the iPhone and iPad. He noted that fiscal 2012 results were incredibly strong, led by higher gross margins, better strength in the dollar and lower component costs.

Looking forward, Cook said the Apple team is hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software and services. When pressed on the issue, he said they had some really great stuff coming in the fall and across all of 2014.

That said, perhaps we won’t see a new iPhone this summer after all.

Permalink to story.

As someone who has a little retirement money in the stock market, I'm glad Apple is doing well. However, I think this may be the last quarter they beat expectations unless they come out with something new. The HTC One and S4 are going to eat away at iPhone sales a little, and the Galaxy Note 8 will hurt the iPad mini a little.

I bit the bullet & bought a brand new iPad mini today but ONLY because I got a great deal. I certainly don't want to contribute to their profit margin if I can help it. I'll play with this thing for a couple of weeks then offload it at a profit. Sadly (happily for me) there's more than enough sap's out there willing to buy it.

I have never tried an HTC device but got one a week ago, the 8x... sold it already and went back to iphone, the batter was the worst I have ever seen in a modern smart phone, even with tinkering and settings for better life. using the HTC 8X they way I used an iphone resulted in my getting 4-5 hours battery life. I ended up having to turn on batter saver mode that only allows phone calls and texts to come through which to me is defeats the purpose of having a smart phone. I had enough of that after a week. Sold.

I have never tried an HTC device but got one a week ago, the 8x... sold it already and went back to iphone, the batter was the worst I have ever seen in a modern smart phone, even with tinkering and settings for better life. using the HTC 8X they way I used an iphone resulted in my getting 4-5 hours battery life. I ended up having to turn on batter saver mode that only allows phone calls and texts to come through which to me is defeats the purpose of having a smart phone. I had enough of that after a week. Sold.

Do you mean the HTC One X? iPhones do get great battery life. If you look at comparisons they excel in anything that requires the screen to be on (which is everything but talk time). Their smaller screen is a definite benefit to battery life. Also, Android battery life can be very different. My wife and I both have HTC Evo 4G phones and I'm running a custom ROM called Reloaded that leaves me with like 80% battery at the end of a workday under normal use. That ROM gave me a better battery improvement than an extended battery. She's running HTC's Sense and her battery is almost dead in the same time frame. Similar use patterns too... I've tried all sorts of settings/battery swapping/apps etc to improve the battery life of her phone, but I've only made small improvements.

The point is, don't necessarily blame the phone... the software and network can make a bigger difference.

Why tell a APPLE fanboy anything? They did not want it to work so they are happy now

Well... then he can deny this story too. On Yahoo Finance about Apple going rotten. They've dropped all their estimates for the next quarter and their stock buyback program is described as a "demonstrably futile Dividend/ Buyback combination so long favored by companies running low on ideas and creativity."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout/apple-good-bad-rotten-115009507.html?vp=1

Interesting... lol

Haven't had this problem with my 8x. Even when I'm playing games on it in the evening, it lasts for the full day. I do need to charge it every night but that's the same for a lot of smart phones.

I have only met android fanboys in my years. No it was a HTC 8X... maybe you don't have that model in the states.

http://www.htc.com/www/smartphones/htc-wp-8x/

these are just experiences that I have had myself. Googling appears to see most other users also are having same said issues. Defend all you want, I can only give you what experience I have had with it.

I Do agree that apple does have the better overall battery life. Back in December I did also try the Samsung 2sx. Battery life was not great either but better then the HTC 8x, but still maybe only 8 hours normal use.

Back