Apple rejects Google Voice iPhone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Just as many anticipated, Google’s Voice application for the iPhone has been rejected from the App Store presumably on grounds that it duplicates features in the popular smartphone. The move once again calls into question the control Apple maintains over approving applications and whether or not the rejection constitutes anticompetitive behavior.

Currently available by invitation only, Google Voice is already offered as a mobile app for Android and BlackBerry handsets. The service ties together multiple landline and mobile phones under a single number and includes some features that compete with services AT&T charges for. Chief among them are free SMS messages and cheap long distance calls as well as advanced call screening features – you can see where the conflict of interest lies. Many are blaming AT&T for the rejection, but the companies have yet to clarify this issue.

In the meantime, iPhone users can still access many of Google Voice’s features by using the web interface. It won't work as seamlessly but it’s something. The question remains, though, should Apple get to decide what applications your iPhone can run?

Permalink to story.

What do you expect when you combine two evil companies? Apple likes to keep things locked down and AT&T isn’t customer friendly. Of course I knew this when I purchased my iPhone, but that’s the price you pay to have the best multimedia device on the planet. Of course if Apple and AT&T keep this up, I’m sure that another phone will dethrone the iPhone.

Guest said:
but that’s the price you pay to have the best multimedia device on the planet.

that is NOT how consumers should be treated. The 'best' of any device is a device that gives the user the features they want and allows them to use those features with the freedom that their hard earned cash should entitle them to for paying for the device in the first place.

Its like a TV manufacturer making a TV with built in freeview but then locking the tv to channels only they want you to view and also deciding which new channels you can watch when they become available.

It sickens me that people put up with this **** and STILL pay rediculous prices to be treated like a ***** just so they can be 'in with the hip crowd'.

Best multimedia device on the planet? Someone's been buying into the hype a tad too much.

Why does Apple get a different treatment than Microsoft? Maybe anti-trust measures are only triggered when someone has more than x% of the market.

Is this not another form of censorship just like that recent 4chan vs. at&t episode?

(this comes from someone who uses the 3 main consumer platforms: windows, osx and linux)

Godwin's law?!

Already... Interesting, and it's just the 6th comment. ROFL

Back to the topic... don't see anything weird here, just the usual Apple. ;)

Exactly, with all the news on how the EU is making Microsoft add other web browsers to windows 7, to keep things equal you'd better see them force Apple to allow apps that compete with the built in apps on the phone.

Guest said:
that’s the price you pay to have the best multimedia device on the planet.

..???

What is so great with the iPhone, stil ldont get that.
..sure the iPhone has a touchscreen... well thats about it..

every other feature other companies like Nokia and Sony Ericsson
and some others hav had for years.
..basic features like cut-and paste, a decent camera, MMS, streaming music/video/documents from your computer to your phone, (ok from another app, but the phoners recive it perfectly, and you can chose lots of diffrent softwares to use)
...GPS, voice controlled, HDMobileTV, Working 3G, good batterylife (and if the battery fails you can actually change it yourself), a phonejack that is standard, not "apple-only", connect to your TV with basic standard cables. , of cource mp3 with virtual surround. possibility to download free "linuxbased" apps, or write you own. Dictaphone, ...all this and much more, and i have dropped it screen first in to concrete and worse several times...phone still works great. .,.. have had these features in my old Nokia and much much more,for years now . Before the first iPhone even was released.

just dont get the hype.. I have everything i ever wanted.. .. and the new model I want even have digital TV ..a reciver built in the phone .. (sure who actually wants to watch films or tv on the phone anyway .. but why not if they can)

...so what does the iPhone have?
**it has a touch screen....
.dont like touch screens the way i treate my phone it will only break
but that cool for people that like that.

***it has a sleak design,
sure its thin and shiny ..personally i prefer a bit thicker phone, feels nicer to hold while not talking in handsfree.....but great for people who like thin phones, but there is the razor then..

**it feels movment (gyro)
...yeah great fo some wierd games, and a cool thing at a party,
but as a useful feature in a phone, that its suppose to be as well...not so much.
..and other phones have that as well .. fo instance Sony Ericsson.
relesed just before och just after the iPhone v1 ..not sure.

...so ..just dont get the hype.

yeah .. and got skype (software) in my mobile as well .. (had it 2 years now)
...more features then i can think of...and iPhone still cant provide decent 3G

seems to be related to AT&T's poor coverage (dont live in america so not sure)
...but then again the same problem ocurred in my country when the launched the phone here.

iPhone when released in NZ was around $600 -700. And the pricing plans were around $1000 a year I think and you didn't get all the capabilities in the first place. Still, you get the occasional (gotta catch em all) type person who will buy into that.

That's apple though, they have such a hold on everything including their resellers and service departments. You have to pay them just to advertise their stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back