Apple said to be prepping 12.9-inch iPad for early next year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple ipad microsoft ios tablet microsoft surface

Microsoft's days as the lone large-screen tablet provider are numbered. That's because Apple's long-rumored oversized iPad is expected to become a reality in the not-too-distant future according to people with knowledge of the matter as reported by Bloomberg.

The larger iPad is rumored to carry a screen size of 12.9 inches, more than two inches larger than Apple's current largest offering, the iPad Air. Sources say the Cupertino-based company has been working with suppliers for at least a year to develop devices with larger screens. Production is slated for the first quarter of 2015, the people said.

A bigger iPad could be just what Tim Cook and company need to reignite tablet sales. Apple reported disappointing results last month as sales of the iPad were down 9.2 percent to 13.3 million in the previous quarter. During the year ago period, Apple managed to sell 14.6 million slates.

Unlike smaller tables that have traditionally been marketed as entertainment devices, large-screen tablets like the Surface Pro 3 are more geared for working professionals. Such will likely be the case with Apple's larger iPad as well.

By all accounts, Apple is still on schedule to deliver a larger iPhone next month. The rumor mill suggests we will see a 4.7-inch iPhone as well as a larger 5.5-inch version unveiled at a special media event on September 9. In addition to the bigger screens, the phones are expected to include a faster and more efficient A8 processor, an improved camera and a thinner chassis.

Permalink to story.

Thats nice but microsoft isnt really the "lone" provider of a large screen tablet now is it when samsung already has a large 12" tablet on the market for some time now....

So apple still copying Samsung Table on 12?>
So Samsung invented the 12" measurement xD? I would look at this as an opportunity for Samsung rather than Apple "copying" since they have competition incoming in the large tablet sector.

Unless you got your computer training at the Redbox Kiosk, I'd say a 12" tablet is about the point where you say, "screw it, I'm buying a laptop".

I disagree. A 12 inch tablet is perfect for the artist that travels a lot. The smaller screens from apple make it slightly harder to actually draw nice things. The 12 inch would give the artist more room to make drawings. For study purposes its also a nice size since you dont have to be a magician writing notes on the larger screen.

Apple steering committee from 2013... "how are we going to sell more iPads?" After the board room shoots around complicated ideas for a while the guy who empties the trash happens to walk in and says, "this is America, just make it bigger!"

I'm surprised it took them this long to figure this out. They probably realized they can offer financing too because of how expensive these will be.

Back