Apple's A11 Bionic SoC looks incredibly impressive in early benchmarks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Synthetic benchmark results aren’t as meaningful as they once were yet still, they can be quite telling of the general level of performance you can expect from a specific setup. Take Apple’s latest batch of iPhones, for example.

The iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X are all powered by the new A11 Bionic SoC which features two high-performance processing cores alongside four efficiency-minded cores. Apple said during its reveal that the performance cores are 25 percent faster than the previous generation A10 and the efficiency-focused cores are 70 percent faster.

Now, we’ve got some hard numbers to go by.

Apple’s latest have made an appearance on Geekbench, one of the most popular benchmarking applications around. The results almost seem unfair as the A11 Bionic is able to outperform Apple’s own MacBook Pro equipped with an Intel Core i5-7267U processor (granted, it’s a U-series chip, but still).

As for other phones, the A11 Bionic thoroughly trounces the Snapdragon 835, Exynos 8895 and Kirin 960 found in the Xiaomi Mi 6, Samsung Galaxy S8 and Huawei P10, respectively, in both single and multi-threaded tests.

Again, this is only one set of synthetic benchmarks but they look promising and are a testament to what can be done when you design both hardware and software under one roof.

Apple’s iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus ship on September 22 followed by the iPhone X on November 3.

Permalink to story.

It looks like all that talk about their phones hardware stinking it up for so long really got to Apple (I know Apple has made quick stuff for a few years now). Combine this A11 power with the excellent RAM usage and a very limited OS and you have one quick device.

Personally I am a big fan of the 10" or so power tablets and love my Galaxy S Tab 10.5", but that Octacore struggle's mightily for just basic browsing/multimedia sometimes.

Personally I am a big fan of the 10" or so power tablets and love my Galaxy S Tab 10.5", but that Octacore struggle's mightily for just basic browsing/multimedia sometimes.

Apple seems to be the only one paying attention to mobile tablets they're improving iOS much more for it. The hardware is always great, have you seen that 120Hz display in person?

It looks like all that talk about their phones hardware stinking it up for so long really got to Apple (I know Apple has made quick stuff for a few years now). Combine this A11 power with the excellent RAM usage and a very limited OS and you have one quick device.

the problem is the "very limited OS", the fact that you are forced into the apple ecosystem and other weird limitations.
I will also never buy a smartphone in which I can't easily plug both a pair of good headphones and a power bank at the same time.

Another impressive feat for Apple SoC. They really made an effort improving things in the background. These tiny details to most consumers meant a lot for the overall experience of the device. Hoping anandtech will review the SoC and see what it can do. I believe the power consumption is really great. I am eager to see what the Huawei 's Kirin latest SoC vs the apples's SoC.

"Apple said during its reveal that the performance cores are 25 percent faster than the previous generation A10 and the efficiency-focused cores are 70 percent faster."

Is this to say that the "performance cores" are slower than the "efficiency-focused cores"? Isn't that kind of backwards?

"Apple said during its reveal that the performance cores are 25 percent faster than the previous generation A10 and the efficiency-focused cores are 70 percent faster."

Is this to say that the "performance cores" are slower than the "efficiency-focused cores"? Isn't that kind of backwards?

It's supposed to be something like "Apple said during its reveal that the performance cores are 25 percent faster than those found in the previous generation A10 and the efficiency-focused cores are 70 percent faster than their A10 counterparts"

Sooooo basically the iphone 8 is the better choice out of the iphone 8 plus and the damn iphone x (10) which is $999 seriously ? oh okay !

I think the statement was the new high performance cores are 25% faster than the previous high performance cores, and the high efficiency cores are 70% faster than the old high efficiency cores.

Sooooo basically the iphone 8 is the better choice out of the iphone 8 plus and the damn iphone x (10) which is $999 seriously ? oh okay !

If all you care about is the SoC, then that would be the cheapest way to get the A11. (The A11 also includes a dual core neural processor capable of 600 billion AI operations/second), a new ISP, and a new video processor.

The 8 plus gets you dual cameras (with a 2x telephoto camera), more RAM, a bigger battery, and a bigger screen.

The X gets you (in addition to the above), a smaller form factor, a bigger OLED screen with a DCI-P3 color space and HDR, a 2x telephoto with OIS and larger aperture, and a TrueDepth front facing camera system (which is essentially a Xbox Kinect).

Back