Apple's got the motherboard blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nause

I must say I was considering buying an apple ibook for a few months until I saw this http://www.blackcider.com/ which is producing quotes like this "The more I think about it, it seems silly to have to pay $300 to keep using a product I bought 14 months ago because it failed due to no fault of my own. I get the same feeling with AppleCare. It's almost like extortion..."give us an extra $250 and you can keep using your iBook when it breaks because of our sub-standard design"."

Apparently Ibooks are crashing and burning alot now, anyone else heard of this.

Yeah I've heard about all the problems they've been having with their motherboards, its been happening for awhile now I guess...Just another reason to hate Apple!! However I do like the Ipod

Does that make me a hypocrit? OH WELL!

The screens break off quite a bit... Very common problem with the Titanium iBooks. ;)

Yep. The Ti iBook design suffers from quite a "defect" where the screen will actually break from the hinges.

As you can see, the Titanium is hardly made from titanium...
http://www.photo.is/titanium.html

A nearby Apple-only repair shop who we are 'friends' with actually has designed a jig to fix broken Titanium screens because the problem is just THAT common. The cost? $300... Which by all means, is a 'good deal'.

Why is it is a good deal? Because sadly enough, only Apple authorized dealers can order parts for Apple systems. And even more sadly, although I am a manager for one, Apple will not let me order a replacement screen frame. I have to order the entire screen, including LCD, which runs about $800-$1500 depending on the iBook model. I don't know how the other repair shop gets the parts.. Probably grey market or something I don't know about.

Apple tells me to get our customers' iBooks fixed, I'll need to send them to Apple. The repair cost? Too much to mention. So people who bring in their broken iBooks (which is VERY common) get the bad news that it isn't worth fixing and take it a few blocks down.

Fortunately, Apple has been very good about honoring their warranty for broken hinges due to "normal usage" since it is a widely recognized problem.

We sell used laptops and almost every used Titanium iBook we get squeaks and creaks when I open the lid! hehe!

Makes me wonder what the people at Apple are doing when you hear of so many of their products being defective or breaking within a short time of purchasing them. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back