Apple's new Solo Loop bands have to be returned with the watch to be replaced

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Facepalm: Thanks to Apple policies, customers never have to worry about paying to fix an Apple product if it was misconfigured. Simply send it back, and the company will reconfigure it. Unfortunately, this policy dictates that all common sense be tossed out the window for detachable components, as Apple Watch users are finding out with their mismeasured Solo Loop bands.

Along with the Apple Watch Series 6, Apple introduced a new watch band called the Solo Loop. It has no clasp and is instead made from an elastic polymer, so users can just slip their watch on and off. They are not one-size-fits-all, however. There are nine different sizes, from 4 to 12.

The problem is, if the customer orders the wrong size, they have to ship the whole package back to Apple. Instead of just sending back a size nine Solo Loop to exchange for a size 10 and wearing a different band while you wait, you have to send the watch and band back so Apple techs can correctly install the Solo Loop for you.

Don't be mistaken. These bands come on and off just like normal ones, but in this case, Apple policy requires the entire package contents be returned since the Solo Loop is "configured to order," meaning you pick the size.

Trying to reason with Apple customer service is a fruitless effort, as GameClub Vice President Eil Hodapp discovered. On finding that he had to return the entire package, Hodapp told a rep that it is "insane" that he needs to return the whole thing for a band one size smaller.

"Yes, totally agree with you," the CS rep said. "But Apple do [sic] have a policy since it is considered a configure to order purchase."

It might not be so bad if the mistakes in sizing were the fault of the user. However, Apple has a printable sizing guide that wraps around the wrist. If your size falls inbetween, do you go for the larger or smaller size. Hodapp says go small, but even then, you might still find the band too loose. Multiple users, using the guide ended up with bands two sizes too big.

"Wondering how the braided solo loop sizing fiasco came into place. This is very not Apple-like," said one users. " I measured a size 7 but actually need a 5 for a nice fit. It’s ridiculous."

What's worse is, according to customer complaints on Twitter, wait times are measured in weeks or months. To avoid the wait, Apple said users could take their watch into a retail store to have it exchanged in-person. Still, a simple exercise of common sense here that allows customers to keep their watch while waiting for a return would solve the problem overnight.

Permalink to story.

I went to Apple the other day to check on the series 6 watch and I will definitely go with the regular black sport band like I’ve always used. I absolutely wear a size 12 which is the largest size that they have. The braided loops are nice but I have concerns with having the watch face squeezed against my arm or with the loop eventually starting to stretch out too much.

This is a very unique situation, because if you're willing to send in your band for replacement, why would it matter if you keep the watch if it's useless without the band?

Unless you want to use another band while you wait for one to come back, I don't see a major issue here.

What,s the point of even owning one. your phone does everything it does and more and you still need your phone to make a call off the watch . useless crap imho.

That is certifiably insane and useless and gives me just one more reason to never buy an Apple watch .....LOL

What,s the point of even owning one. your phone does everything it does and more and you still need your phone to make a call off the watch . useless crap imho.

I've worn a watch since the 70's. Feels "naked" without one. Plus, I carry my phone in a belt pouch. The notification options on the watch alone, were worth it.
But, the secondary feature of tracking heart rate & sleep actually benefited me.
I noticed my RESTING heart rate during sleep was spiking in the 90 range, and, my restful sleep was very low. On a routine yearly checkup, showed my doctor who put me on a sleep study which
showed I had moderate sleep apnea. I've been on a CPAP machine for almost a year. I sleep better, my restful sleep is MUCH improved and my resting HR at night drops into the mid 50's range.
So, there are SOME benefits to having a smart watch. I was on the fence for 2-3 years before I got one. When the price dropped on the Samsung G3 Frontier, I picked one up, thinking I would keep it a week, and send it back. I kept it.

This is a very unique situation, because if you're willing to send in your band for replacement, why would it matter if you keep the watch if it's useless without the band?

Unless you want to use another band while you wait for one to come back, I don't see a major issue here.
most people have more than 1 watch band, especially if theyve owned previous gens. The apple ones are expensive, but you can get a pack of 3 third party bands for like $15.

My phone doesnt monitor my heart rate, do ECGs, track workouts effectively, or track sleep. My watch also lets me go on runs and listen to stuff without a block in my pocket, lets me be connected to social media without feeling the need to constantly scroll through it on my phone, and remotely snap pictures from my phone. Im able to spend less time on my phone which is a huge plus - I leave my phone plugged in on the other side of my home and still know when I get a text, so I spend far less time scrolling through the internet pointlessly.
It also does alarms really well, it vibrates your wrist to wake you instead of deafening you with sounds or music. It also has a walkie talkie app which still amuses me to this day.

I've worn a watch since the 70's. Feels "naked" without one. Plus, I carry my phone in a belt pouch. The notification options on the watch alone, were worth it.
But, the secondary feature of tracking heart rate & sleep actually benefited me.
I noticed my RESTING heart rate during sleep was spiking in the 90 range, and, my restful sleep was very low.

How do you sleep with your watch and keep it charged? Just curious, I don't have a smartwatch yet, but some of the health tracking features seem very cool.

How do you sleep with your watch and keep it charged? Just curious, I don't have a smartwatch yet, but some of the health tracking features seem very cool.
I have a Series 4. Battery runtime for me is around 36 hours with about 30% remaining. Thirty percent is enough to make it through the night, but it will be very low power in the morning. So every other day I put it on the charger about 2 hours before bed. It only takes about an hour to charge fully from 30%, but I just have a routine. I put it back on before I go to bed.

heart rate tracking is the reason I'm wearing my smartwatch now. was diagnosed with overly active thyroid last year which resulted in fast heartrate even when resting. doctor said such condition may sometimes be unnoticed if it was only slightly above average. well with a smartwatch I can immediately tell if my meds are working or if I'm exercising too hard. on the upside wearing it while sleeping will also let you know if your heartrate is spiking during sleep, which is not good.

also picked up cycling again as we're mainly working from home and friends started cycling. it's nice to just use the GPS on your watch without your smartphone and record your 3-hour cycling session isn't it? best part is waking up without crazy annoying noise, just with a vibration on your wrist. luckily mine isn't from apple so I don't spend a fortune on it.

not surprised that apple has outsold all swisswatch manufacturers in 2019:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/5/2...les-2019-swiss-watch-market-estimates-outsold

I get about 4 days battery life on my Samsung Gear3 Frontier. I turned off the "rotate your wrist" to wake" feature which caused the watch to turn on all the time (job requires turning a screwdriver...duh...it wakes up). It only takes an hours to charge, so when it does need it, I put it on the charger when I get home in the evening, or at work if I'm not doing anything.

Amusing, the writer has so much venom for Apple. Sorry Techspot, as long as Apple continue to make the best devices I will continue to buy their products. What do we do instead? Buy an Android phone? lol.

Back