Apple's upcoming Lockdown Mode will make devices easier to fingerprint

Daniel Sims

Staff
In context: Apple designed its upcoming Lockdown Mode feature to protect devices against spyware. However, the head of a privacy startup thinks websites can easily identify who is using Lockdown Mode, potentially exposing them despite the functionality's purpose.

John Ozbay, head of privacy tech company Cryptee, told Vice he thinks Apple's upcoming Lockdown Mode will be highly susceptible to device fingerprinting. This core design flaw could paint a target on users who engage the mode to avoid tracking methods like spyware.

Lockdown Mode, which will come with iOS 16, iPadOS 16, and macOS Ventura when they launch this fall, is Apple's answer to spyware from developers like NSO Group and RCS Labs. The two organizations created spyware that governments have used to track diplomats, politicians, journalists, and activists.

Apple designed Lockdown Mode so users can temporarily secure their devices by restricting many networking features. When activated, it will disable some features in web browsers and the Messages app that could be vectors for spyware and other kinds of malware. It will also block FaceTime calls from new numbers, disable wired connections, restrict mobile device management, and deploy other protections.

However, the absence of these specific features could tell websites that a visitor is using Lockdown Mode. Some sites and ads use fingerprinting to identify and track devices without cookies by analyzing a combination of characteristics: IP addresses, installed fonts, user agents, screen resolution, plugins, or what functionality users have disengaged.

Ozbay successfully tested his theory by building a website that can detect whether a device has activated Lockdown Mode, which he says took Cryptee five minutes. If a website gets a user's IP address and knows they are using Lockdown Mode, it could bring attention to those taking extra lengths to guard their privacy.

Apple told Ozbay that Lockdown Mode disables web fonts, which removes one detail by which websites can fingerprint devices. It's currently unclear what other measures the upcoming feature will take to fight fingerprinting.

Security researcher Ryan Stortz hopes that large numbers of users enable Lockdown Mode, making individual targets harder to identify by blending them into a crowd.

Permalink to story.

Web browsers give too much information to web sites.

IP addresses - you really can't avoid that at the browser level.
installed fonts - browsers should not give this information.
user agents - this should be simplified to only give minimal info or completely removed.
screen resolution - browser should not give this.
plugins - browser should not give this without user agreeing to it.

there are many other things that should be restricted or removed like
canvas, audio, webgl, which toolbars are visible,video formats available, battery info, gyroscope just to name a few. these things should only be accessible if the user clicks something to enable them. Most sites have no need for those things and should not be able to access them.

Web browsers give too much information to web sites.

IP addresses - you really can't avoid that at the browser level.
installed fonts - browsers should not give this information.
user agents - this should be simplified to only give minimal info or completely removed.
screen resolution - browser should not give this.
plugins - browser should not give this without user agreeing to it.

there are many other things that should be restricted or removed like
canvas, audio, webgl, which toolbars are visible,video formats available, battery info, gyroscope just to name a few. these things should only be accessible if the user clicks something to enable them. Most sites have no need for those things and should not be able to access them.
Exactly what I do. Of course, I also use U-Block Origin in Advance mode and simply block all scripts by Default. It's a PITA initially but once I have those sites I actually use allowed, I don't get ads or many of the other issues. It's not perfect by any means but it's the closest to a locked down mode as I can get without moving to a browser that doesn't support anything at all.

Back