ARM Cortex A15 offers 5x more power to smartphones

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

ARM -- the company powering today's finest handsets -- has introduced a new CPU aimed at smartphones, tablets and other low powered computing devices. Codenamed Eagle, the chip will launch as the Cortex A15 in 2012 with a few iterations, offering up to five times the performance of existing smartphone processors. Parts will be made with as little as one processing core, but most will have two or four cores. They'll use 32nm and 28nm fabrication tech, eventually transitioning to 20nm.

Quad-core versions are destined for entertainment systems, wireless infrastructure, as well as home and web servers (up to 2.5GHz). To make the A15 more appealing for server use, its addressing range has been bumped to 1TB from the A9's 4GB. Single and dual-core chips will be used in smartphones and other mobile devices, including netbooks and smartbooks, putting ARM in direct competition with Intel and AMD. All variants will be fully compatible with previous Cortex A-series applications.

Permalink to story.

I always welcome potentially major competition to the traditional big wig desktop/laptop CPU companies. =o

Indeed impressive. But think of how cheap the current gen chips can be produced if on a smallr manufacturing process. It is not like any one kind of software is driving the hardware to increase in power. Games are not a driver for hardware improvements for this market. I believe User Interface and control, DSP, Image/video capture and processing, and processor intense services will be drive the need for more. AND perhaps, the need to consume less power for multitasking (a big one!)

Very impressive, but is it really direct competition for Intel/AMD if Windows doesn't support ARM processors? At least in the netbook and tablet department. Or is support for ARM finally coming?

Quad-Core for a cell phone? They just barely started making multi-core applications often enough on computers... As for netbooks, I like it.

mattfrompa: I have heard that Microsoft makes their mobile versions ARM compatible, but I have never heard anything about their mainstream OS jumping the line.

not sufficient detail covered here but still will have to wait for 2yrs . mayb by that time someoen else will come out with something advanced

Back