As a new Last Jedi trailer arrives, Disney's strict rules for theaters are revealed

midian182

Staff member

Disney knows that Star Wars: The Last Jedi is going to make a lot of money, but the company is giving US theaters a strict set of rules that will maximize the movie’s earning potential while increasing the studio’s cut of the profits.

As reported by the Wall Street Journal, theaters that show the next entry in the Star Wars series must hand over a 65 percent share of the ticket-sales revenue to Disney. Most studios request around 55 percent. This is a “new benchmark,” according to the WSJ, though it’s only 1 percent more than what Disney asked for the last two Star Wars titles.

The next demand is that theaters show The Last Jedi exclusively in their largest auditorium for a minimum of four weeks—another rule that was in place for the previous movies. While The Last Jedi will obviously be popular, this requirement could pose problems for small theaters that might have only one screen.

Disney's rules will only come into play if the Last Jedi grosses $500 million in the US and Canada, which is an almost certainty, especially when you consider that the highest-grossing film of 2015, The Force Awakens, brought in over $930 million domestically.

Should any theater dare to ignore Disney’s rules, the company reserves the right to charge it an additional five percent of the ticket-sales revenue. This will happen for any infraction, including the cancellation of a single screening without Disney’s consent.

In other Last Jedi news, a new TV spot appeared during Game 7 of the World Series last night. Highlights include Luke's return to the Millennium Falcon, Finn battling Captain Phasma, and, err..., some more Porgs.

Permalink to story.

Theatres can get together and boycott it completely and watch Disney try to break even from straight to DVD release.
Yes, they can, but probably will not.

However, it is up to the theaters if, and if they do, how long will they tolerate this, at least as I see it. This is bully behavior, and the only thing that theaters will be able to do to "combat" this is to raise prices.

Raising prices will then affect theater goers. With the current climate, at least for some TS readers, being to shy away from theaters and wait for DVD/BR/UHD-BR/Streaming/torrent releases, the trickle-down effect may be to reduce the number of people willing to see this in the theaters. It may well be Disney that is hurt by this if not for this release, when Disney tries to do this with future releases of whatever. Unfortunately, those theaters trying to improve the theater experience for their patrons, and theaters in general may also end up getting further hammered by the trend away from people seeing movies in the theaters.

It is pretty clear that Disney is just getting greedy with this and that Disney is changing the rules on the fly so that the rules remain fluid yet are getting worse for theaters as Rob says. We have seen this kind of thing before in various industries. In the past, it has been the first signs of demise for the company following this path.

Disney seems to be getting more and more arrogant as time goes on, or at the least what they are trying to do is make up for lost revenue from their various cash-cows like ESPN. All I have to say to Disney is good luck with that. They have already lost me as a customer for their streaming service even though it is not yet available.

With this sort of thing going on, the massive loses from ESPN and the lawsuits from underage actors for sexually assault for what Weinstein did. Disney could be a husk of it's self in a few years. Personally I didn't like the last movie and I have no intention of seeing any further Star wars movies in Theater.

Disney is certainly cocky. Demanding this from theaters is something the people should be doing not the Movie Makers. They might as well make two tiers, one for smaller theaters with a single screen and another for bigger theaters with multiple screens.

This contract limits theaters with one screen and minimizes their availability of other movies. I can't believe other Movie Makers are not fighting this.

Anyone who works in American movie theaters please confirm this to me, is 65% cut the limit for profit in movie tickets? I know that movie theaters make money from foods like popcorn/candy and beverages.

...and the theaters will go "meh...we'll just pass it on to the customers."

Personally, I can't stand going to theaters anymore anyway. I've waited as much as 3 years to see a show or movie come on Netflix and I'm willing to wait longer or never see it. Most of what's out there is a re-hack of a story already told anyway.

...and the theaters will go "meh...we'll just pass it on to the customers."

Personally, I can't stand going to theaters anymore anyway. I've waited as much as 3 years to see a show or movie come on Netflix and I'm willing to wait longer or never see it. Most of what's out there is a re-hack of a story already told anyway.
I was considering seeing this in the theater, but not any more. For me, it will be Redbox.

Disney needs to be VERY careful. With the demands on theaters that are quoted in the article seeming to get worse and worse over time, they will get to the point that no one will want to show their movies as it will not be profitable. You can't operate a movie theater on profits from popcorn, drinks and other snack items. Like a lot of other people, I can no longer afford to take my family to a movie theater to see a movie at seventy to eighty dollars a trip. That is on top of the two hour round trip just to get to and from the theater. So, Red Box is our "go to" for movies in our rural community.

Disney needs to be VERY careful. With the demands on theaters that are quoted in the article seeming to get worse and worse over time, they will get to the point that no one will want to show their movies as it will not be profitable. You can't operate a movie theater on profits from popcorn, drinks and other snack items. Like a lot of other people, I can no longer afford to take my family to a movie theater to see a movie at seventy to eighty dollars a trip. That is on top of the two hour round trip just to get to and from the theater. So, Red Box is our "go to" for movies in our rural community.
Disney doesn't really care.... you're going to watch Star Wars regardless.... whether you see it on a streaming service, digital download or blu-ray, Disney will still get their cut. There's a reason why even Waterworld eventually made money - even though very few saw it in theaters....

Grrr.. we Have already seen this happen. I don't mean to say that Netflix is everyone's friend, and gawd only knows what the next five years will bring, but as they already have more than I can watch, I applaud them for saying essentially, "That's Too Much" to Hollywood to the point that Disney -in their Infinite Wisdom- decided to take their ball and try and start a game on their own. I do Not wish 'em luck..
Theatres oughta' take a page an' say.. "Nahh, not that important" just Once.. Smaller theatres ought to make sure that their customers realize what is going on and charge a 'disney premium' for tickets to their latest fiasco. To local customers that they know by name: "If you want us to show the DISNEY stuff, we hafta' charge an extra $2 " per POPCORN " for Four Pharg'n Weeks.. OR we'll skip Disney entirely and 30% of U.S. movie-goers (non city) get to decide if they'll drive 30 minutes+ and see it at a 'Big theatre'".
Joke 'em..
(changed ticket to 'popcorn', ticket only gives disney more, duh me)

Last edited:
Theatres can get together and boycott it completely and watch Disney try to break even from straight to DVD release.
Yes, they can, but probably will not.

However, it is up to the theaters if, and if they do, how long will they tolerate this, at least as I see it. This is bully behavior, and the only thing that theaters will be able to do to "combat" this is to raise prices.

Raising prices will then affect theater goers. With the current climate, at least for some TS readers, being to shy away from theaters and wait for DVD/BR/UHD-BR/Streaming/torrent releases, the trickle-down effect may be to reduce the number of people willing to see this in the theaters. It may well be Disney that is hurt by this if not for this release, when Disney tries to do this with future releases of whatever. Unfortunately, those theaters trying to improve the theater experience for their patrons, and theaters in general may also end up getting further hammered by the trend away from people seeing movies in the theaters.

It is pretty clear that Disney is just getting greedy with this and that Disney is changing the rules on the fly so that the rules remain fluid yet are getting worse for theaters as Rob says. We have seen this kind of thing before in various industries. In the past, it has been the first signs of demise for the company following this path.

Disney seems to be getting more and more arrogant as time goes on, or at the least what they are trying to do is make up for lost revenue from their various cash-cows like ESPN. All I have to say to Disney is good luck with that. They have already lost me as a customer for their streaming service even though it is not yet available.

Hmmm... maybe I will wait a few months and borrow it from my local library. I'm in no hurry to see Star Wars (or Trek), anymore.

While there is most certainly a more enjoyable experience in the theatre with the surround sound and super large picture the price of a ticket has become very expensive. Coupled with snacks the price hovers around $20 in most cities. Then if you need a bathroom break you are destined to miss a few scenes that you cant just rewind and still enjoy.

Home theatre equipment is improving every day and I prefer to enjoy a DVD or streaming and see no problem waiting until the film is available. I am able to enjoy whatever snacks, drinks and mode of dress I like along with the ability to pause, replay or invite my friends to watch.

Disney, you greedy bastard, can take a flying leap off a short pier while waiting for the 65% of my admission.

How about "The Last Star Wars Movie"? Enough already. It's time for those adults to get their diapers off.

Disney doesn't really care.... you're going to watch Star Wars regardless.... whether you see it on a streaming service, digital download or blu-ray, Disney will still get their cut. There's a reason why even Waterworld eventually made money - even though very few saw it in theaters....

That's funny. I never saw the last two. They didn't look all that good and from what people described to me, it sounded like a remake of the old one. Same story, different people.

I know for a fact they did.
So in your mind what would they have to change? I bet when you are done, it wouldn't even be a Star Wars movie. People say it is the same story because well it is the same story continuing. But if you actually watch the movie they are nothing alike other than having the same culture.

Well they have been crafted similarly on purpose - kind of like an homage (same as Abrams did the Star Trek)....

A New Hope: We get introduced to our characters, they fulfill a quest successfully yet are clearly told that there will be more....

Force Awakens: We get introduced to our characters, they fulfill a quest successfully yet are clearly told that there will be more....

I'm assuming that the new movie will be similar to Empire Strikes back in that we'll have a connection between main bad and good guys (Luke / Darth in Empire, Kylo and Rey in Last Jedi) - yes, it was father/son and now it's cousin.... but hey, we can't have identical movies :).

Good guy will receive training from former Jedi - Luke got from Yoda, now Rey will receive from Luke... There will be a conflict between the good and bad guys, with the bad guy attempting to get the good guy to "join the dark side"... and I'm assuming Last Jedi will end with bad guys winning - but with the obvious caveat that the good guys will return for a 3rd movie where they will triumph...

Not sure why anyone's complaining about this.... I'm totally psyched to see how they do it :)

If you're a fan of theatre, you'll note that pretty much every Greek tragedy gives you the ending in the first few minutes.... it's not about what happens - it's about HOW it happens that should be entertaining....

A good movie should be entertaining even if you watch it 4 or 5 times...

So in your mind what would they have to change? I bet when you are done, it wouldn't even be a Star Wars movie. People say it is the same story because well it is the same story continuing. But if you actually watch the movie they are nothing alike other than having the same culture.

Cool your jets, kid. I just repeated what others stated, so it was objective data. For my part, I wouldn't have bothered making any movies past the original 3.

Back