Assistance jumping case switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinto

Hello everyone, I'm here today because a couple of days ago my computer would no longer boot up, as in it just would not power up. It's funny because one day I shut my computer off for the night and then when I tried to turn it on the next morning it simply would not power on.

After reading various guides and forum posts on various websites I learned a few ways in which you could test to see if it was either the PSU, Motherboard or case switch that may be causing the problem. Now, I have already successfully tested the PSU by jumping the 14th pin (green wire) and one of the ground pins (black wire) on the 24 pin connector. After I flipped the PSU switch my case fan started to spin letting me know my PSU wasn't the problem.

So, my question now is how do I test to see if my case switch is causing the problem? My computer expertise is on an average level and I'm not sure whether my case switch connects directly to the PSU or via the mother board, although I'm assuming it connects to the mother board as my PC is a 2 year old Alienware rig.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jinto

Hi

There should be a wiring loom running from the front of the pc to the board, do a google on the motherboard and find out which connector is the power switch, it's usually next to the reset. speaker, HDD led and power led pins, once found short it out and if the mobo starts up its the case switch if not the mobo is dead.

Regards

It seems as if my mother board is the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe.

How do I jump the power switch pins? A paper clip is just slightly too big to fit into the power switch wire plug.

You do understand that simply because the fans run, that doesn't necessarily mean the PSU is good. That only tells you that you have 12 Volts + working. The case switch is the least likely failure, of the three possibilities you mention. You need to find the mobo manual, it will tell you which pins belong to the case switch.

125qdfm.gif

Thanks for the diagram kimsland, it clears things up a lot. Now, using a coin I can short the two pins on the mobo? Does it matter what kind of coin I use? I won't get shocked will I?

No shock
Preferably use flat screwdriver (with plastic handle) to short pins (about 1 second to turn on, and 3 secs to turn off)

Here's some key words, so as others searching might find this thread:
PWR RST LED SPK SW A8N PIN PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back