Astrophysicists create the first accurate map of the universe: It’s very flat, and probably infinite

Archean

Astrophysicists create the first accurate map of the universe: It’s very flat, and probably infinite

After analyzing more than three years of continuous observations from one of the world’s widest-angle telescopes in New Mexico, astrophysicists have compiled the most accurate map ever of the universe. Spanning a distance of over six billion light years, the new map plots the location of 1.2 million galaxies with an accuracy of 99%. This means that the distance between galaxies on the map is accurate to within 1% of the actual distance — an astonishing feat when you consider that we’re doing the measuring from a single point of space and observing tiny specks of light that are trillions of miles away.

apa3.jpg

"...an astonishing feat when you consider that we’re doing the measuring from a single point of space and observing tiny specks of light that are trillions of miles away."

The only thing that's going to be astonishing is centuries from now when some guy in an early intergalactic starship is actually surprised when he winds up in the wrong star system after using one of these maps.

IF he/she is using this map in that distant future, it mean the mankind didn't made much progress ...........

Too bad we won't be in that "intergalactic star ship" anymore when it finally gets invented.

I want to cry right now. :'(:'(:'(

Earth has several locations that will simulate traveling between nothing and nothing. I see no reason why we should take to the stars to satisfy our thirst for adventure.

Earth has several locations that will simulate traveling between nothing and nothing. I see no reason why we should take to the stars to satisfy our thirst for adventure.

You can't role play James T. Kirk or Jean-Luc Picard without a starship and a whole lot of empty space.

Back