Asus a7n8x rev2.0
AMD Athlon XP 2600+
256 MB Generic PC3200 Ram
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro
400W Antec PSU
WD 40G HDD
Sony CDRW DVD-ROM
Optitwrite DVD RW

I fried my a7v8x-x about a week ago and ordered this new one in hopes of an easy replacement. From what everyoen told me it shoudl have just booted right up, with a few expected problems with WinXP. But now after working at if for 3 days i still have it to work. My first problem is durring POST it ways the CPU speed is 1250 Mhz, which it should be 1.87. It also says my memory freq. is 100mhz depending on which slot i put it in, in the third slot it says its 200mhz.
It also takes about a minute to detect the IDE devices everytiem I boot. After POST it will boot from CD Drive but goes too slow to do anythign.
This lead me to beleive it is a RAM problem, but i have the same problem no matter what slot i put it in. The RAm has 7 chips per side which is in the limits of the board(8 is max).
Coudl it be that it only accepts the dual channel ddr memory?
I have tried almost everyhtign and still cannot get it working.
thanks for any help.

Have you gone through the settings in the BIOS, auto detect hard drive, set bus speed? Or just go into the BIOS and set it for Performance Defaults.

I have tried that. It had teh same problems as previously stated. I also changed teh FSB setting to 166 in which it correctly identified my CPU as a 2600. but when i restarted it a second time it didnt even display the CPU information, just skipped right to memory.

should start the MB from defaults
clear CMOS out, remove the CPU and PS before you do this.
try going into bios after this is done and reset CPU clock
reboot if you don't see right speed it may be a bios issue with that CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back