Asus A8N Sli Deluxe Dead board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

New to this but here goes.I have read all the help there is but this has me stumped.I have an Asus A8N Sli Deluxe mobo AMD64 3200 with two 6800 Ultras and 1gb Corsair memory and 2x Maxtor 80Gb in raid0 run on a Antec truepower 2 550w Psu.Have been running for 2yrs now. Recently my power switch seemed to give trouble wont start then does temperamental as hell.Now the system wont start at all.Tried to bypass switch with reset one tried to jumpstart with screwdriver no luck.Used a piece of wire in pins 14 and 15 and psu powers up all pins giving right current.Used an old 350w psu and everything powers up but now no post.Cleared the cmos with jumper pulled out mobo and set up outside case with only memory and graphics card plugged in still same.Antec wont fire up and old psu works but no post screen.I did flash bios a month ago with asus update and the machine has been purring beautifully.Only thing i can think that was different was our lovely South African load shedding that crashed my PC during a game.I then replugged in antec to mobo and placed the wire clip in from behind forcing power on but it wont post or stay on without wire clip.

Why can i jump my Antec to work but it wont power up with switch?
Why no post screen now i know the mobo has something like a crash free bios2?

Buy or borrow an inexpensive power supply tester. Perhaps they are as inexpensive in South Africa as they are in the US at about $10 to $15. This device will show problems if they exist. Or just borrow a power supply from another machine.
That ASUS is a very demanding motherboard. I would not, however, continue to short out posts, as that could render your board unrepairable.

Riggs your PSU is ok, but your motherboard seems to be dead. You had a good run with the AN8 SLI, and it may be time to purchase a new computer (motherboard, processor memory) if you can't find a suitibly priced replacment for the board.

This replacement is located in Hong Kong. They'll probably sell it to you if you trust them to send it to you.

I didn't explain myself so I shall do so now. :)

You shorted the power supply units and they came on. This isn't the best test for a working PSU, but it is a fair test. You replaced the start switch with the reset switch and tried to boot the computer and still nothing happened strongly suggesting that the power switch isn't the problem. You replaced the Truepower II with a less expensive 350 watt unit and the computer powered up but didn't boot. The Truepower II is a fairly new, sophisticated PSU that will probably turn itself off if the current demands from the motherboard aren't within an expected range. The older 350 watt PSU is probably less sophisticated and powered on and remained on despited the power draw, or lack there of, from the motherboard. It seems to me that one of the PSUs would have powered up the computer if the motherboard was working. (That's assuming, of course, that you didn't try to power up your SLI configuration with the 350 watt PSU which I'm hoping you didn't try to do.) The power switch was eliminated as a problem when the reset switch was put in it's place. Leaving the motherboard as the problem.

As far as the new computer comment goes. Good socket 939 motherboards are hard to find. The ASUS A8N SLI was one of the best SLI socket 939 motherboards you could buy. The only problem I'd have with an older socket 939 motherboard would be replacement cost verses performance. I can get a new motherboard and memory for the cost of an old ASUS A8N32 Deluxe SLI. For $300 bucks I can get a new Intel processor that runs circles around my older FX-60

A8N sli

Thanks Guys
You really responded fast more than I can say for other forums.Thanks for the support.I had an idea something was up with the mother board.Any way i have been pricing a new Intel rig.I have been a loyal AMD suporter for the last 3 Pc's i built but as someone said they dont even know who i am.I am going intel core duo2 which at this point is outstripping AMD and i will by an intel motherboard.I have seen these PC's in action especially running Crisis.I know my old board had the nforce 4 chip that was a pilot board and has given me problems with drivers over the years.
Damn things these pc's build one now and in 6 months it is almost obsolete.

Shot Guys I hope to be able to help others in these forums

Riggs

As will be your new one. Do not expect less problems with the Intel motherboard. Drivers and such continue to rear their ugly heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back