Asus looking to enter US smartphone market in 2014

Scorpus

Staff member

Entering a smartphone market for the first time is a hard task, but Asus is looking to push its way into the crowded United States phone market sometime in 2014, a new report has revealed. Asus Chairman Jonney Shih mentioned that the company has been making progress in building relationships with carriers and retailers, which is necessary for the company to succeed in the territory new to its phone business.

Asus already sells mobile 'phones' outside the United States and the Taiwanese company has previously attempted to sell devices stateside with the help of Garmin. They no longer produce standalone smartphones, at least at the moment, with their product line-up including the Padfone, a 5-inch phone that docks into a 10-inch tablet, and (confusingly) the Fonepad, which is a 7-inch tablet capable of making phone calls.

Aside from those two phone-centric devices, the Android-focused OEM is most well known for producing the Nexus 7 tablets, including the new model announced just last week, and the Transformer line of dockable tablets. The company hasn't ventured too deep into the smartphone market in the last couple of years, so it'll be interesting to see what they'll have in store for their US debut. Shih mentioned something "revolutionary" is coming to the Transformer line, but gave no hints into their smartphone efforts.

It will be difficult for Asus to push into a smartphone market dominated by Apple and Samsung. Manufacturers that are well known and more successful in other territories, such as LG and Sony, have found it hard to sell their high-end devices when they're up against the huge marketing budgets of the big smartphone guns. Unless Asus can produce something radically different, 2014 may be the only year we see Asus in the US phone market.

Permalink to story.

Asus will join the ever-growing group of non-Samsung Android phones. They'll need some flashy commercials to avoid being just another black rectangle on the overwhelming wall of choices for smartphone buyers.

If Asus came up with a new design and better features and a pure Android experience and also a micro sd card slot. They would have me hooked and I am sure they would have millions of other people hooked too!

haha!:
"Padfone, a 5-inch phone that docks into a 10-inch tablet, and (confusingly) the Fonepad, which is a 7-inch tablet capable of making phone calls."
asus, being a globally recognized brand should invest in a good naming system for its phone/phablet/tablet lineup.

Another company that says everybody else is doing it we should to. Why would some company set themselves up to loose 100's of millions of dollars?. What can they possibly do to offer something different? Look at all who failed in this

That's cool. I wonder if they'll release a ROG part one of these days in their flashy red & black colours with support for liquid cooling and DirectCU IX cooling.

I'd like to see what Asus does. I like their products. I'd like to see where they are going with this Android phone thing.

Back