Asus motherboard & large HD conflict?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard & HDD conflict?

Hi
I currently have an ASUS P2B Intel 440BX motherboard and it supports the Ultra DMA/33 Bus Master IDE (correct me if I'm wrong, for the HDD).
I just recently bought a Maxtor 40gig 7200rpm harddrive...

I'm wondering would my motherboard be able to support this harddrive that i just got?
I asked the dealer where I bought the drive and he said that all I need to do is upgrade the BIOS (which I already did).

From the way he said it, I'm not convinced that it is all I have to do...

Could someone please help me out..
Thanx

Newcomer welcome & hello!

You didn't mention which OS you'll be using with that hdd - GNU Linux handles 40GB hdds just fine even with old motherboards, for example. Win95 & 98 might have problems with disks larger than 32GB. Also, some Award 4.5x BIOSes don't support disks larger than 32GB - but again, it doesn't affect GNU Linux ;).
That said, I recommend creating, say, 31.5 GB partition first, installing an OS to it, then creating another partition for data (it's wise to have data & OS on separate partitions anyway).

If you have trouble getting it to detect correctly, you can use the MAXBLAST utility from Maxtor which is a work around for the large drive problem, it will also allow you to format and partition the drive.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
Newcomer welcome & hello!

You didn't mention which OS you'll be using with that hdd - GNU Linux handles 40GB hdds just fine even with old motherboards, for example. Win95 & 98 might have problems with disks larger than 32GB. Also, some Award 4.5x BIOSes don't support disks larger than 32GB - but again, it doesn't affect GNU Linux ;).
That said, I recommend creating, say, 31.5 GB partition first, installing an OS to it, then creating another partition for data (it's wise to have data & OS on separate partitions anyway).

Hello...
:D
I guess I should have written my OS in....sorry....I'm running Windows XP with an 8 gig hard drive already...I'm planning on keeping my 8 gig in and run my XP from that drive...
Don't know what else to say...thanx for the help...
Please keep it coming...I need all the help i could get cuz I don't want to open the package until I'm certain my motherboard could run the 40gig drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back