ASUS P4S800-MX and CPU upgrade just sits there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Well, this may be a stupid question, but I just upgraded the CPU in my barebones box. Running an ASUS P4S800-MX and had a P4 2.4 533 FSB 1MB cache processor in there running great. Bought a P4 3.2 800FSB 1MB cache processor and plop it in and nothing (both Prescotts). On boot I get nothing at all on the screen and the drive spins up for about 10 secs and then stops. Put the old CPU back in a it all works fine.

Did I miss something?

Do you have the latest BIOS? Have you tried clearing the BIOS when you replace the CPU (before booting)?

JMMD said:
Do you have the latest BIOS? Have you tried clearing the BIOS when you replace the CPU (before booting)?

You beat me to it! Turns out that's the problem. My processor isn't compatible with the old bios. Biggest problem is that the BIOS offered for download is NOT compatible with the BIOS I'm using since the motherboard I have is in a Vintage barebones system. Stupid ASUS decided it would be a good idea to have a different bios for the same motherboard! Looks like I'm outta luck unless they mail me the bios on a chip.

petestorm said:
You beat me to it! Turns out that's the problem. My processor isn't compatible with the old bios. Biggest problem is that the BIOS offered for download is NOT compatible with the BIOS I'm using since the motherboard I have is in a Vintage barebones system. Stupid ASUS decided it would be a good idea to have a different bios for the same motherboard! Looks like I'm outta luck unless they mail me the bios on a chip.

DOH!!! That's NOT the problem. Checked the BIOS support for the chip for the Barebones machine I have and it IS supported! Didn't see any way to reset the BIOS via jumpers or anything (even have manual for it.) Is there another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back