Asus reveals world's first 32-inch 4K OLED monitor, Z790 motherboards, and a Wi-Fi 7 gaming...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Asus has joined the other companies revealing new hardware at Gamescom with the unveiling of several exciting-looking products, including what it says is the world's first 32-inch 4K OLED monitor, Z790 motherboards, and a Wi-Fi 7 gaming router. The firm has also confirmed Intel's 14th-gen CPU line will be called Raptor Lake-S refresh.

Asus revealed several new monitors at Gamescom, including what is apparently the world's first 32-inch 4K OLED (also available in 34-inch and 49-inch sizes). The OLED PG32UCDM comes with a 240Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms GtG response time and, thanks to its use of the brighter QD-OLED tech, can reach a peak of 1,000 nits. Asus says the monitor also boasts outstanding color performance, a wide gamut, exceptional contrast, and an improved sub-pixel layout that makes text clearer and more legible.

The OLED PG32UCDM features a custom heat sink and graphene material to negate the risk of burn-in, a KVM switch, and connectivity options that include DisplayPort 1.4, HDMI 2.1, and USB Type-C with power delivery. Its estimated launch date is around the first quarter of next year.

Asus also unveiled a curved (800R) 34-inch OLED monitor with a 3440 x 1440 resolution. It also has a 240Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms GtG response time. The ROG Swift OLED PG34WCDM can reach 1,300 nits and is DisplayHDR True Black 400 certified.

Joining the increasingly large list of massive monitors is the PG49WCD, a 49-inch super-ultrawide QD-OLED (5,120 x 1,440). The curved display has a 144Hz refresh rate and 0.03ms response time. It also boasts a maximum brightness of 1,000 nits, 90W power delivery, and a built-in smart KVM.

Asus revealed several Z790 motherboards with support for 12th-gen, 13th-gen, and "next-gen" processors. The company later confirmed on a dedicated web page that the 14th-generation Intel chips will be called Raptor Lake-S refresh. Most people have known this for a while, but Intel and board partners had, up until now, failed to confirm it.

The motherboards come with a slew of features such as one onboard PCle 5.0 M.2 slot, four PCle 4.0 M.2 slots, dual Thunderbolt 4 USB Type-C ports, and a USB 20Gbps Type-C front panel connector that comes with Quick Charge 4+ (up to 60W). They also feature Wi-Fi 7, which leads us onto the ROG Rapture GT-BE98 Pro Wi-Fi 7 gaming router.

Asus says this is the world's first Wi-Fi 7 quad-band gaming router, leveraging the full potential of Wi-Fi 7 with 320 MHz channel support in the 6 GHz band to provide up to 160% faster speeds than previous-generation Wi-Fi 6. Moreover, 4K QAM modulation packs more data into transmissions, resulting in up to 20% higher peak data rates to deliver speeds of up to 30,000 Mbps. It also comes with Multi-Link Operation and Multi-RU Puncturing for faster and more efficient wireless connections.

You can watch all of Asus' Gamescom stream right here.

Permalink to story.

I'm at a crossroads. I can only have one display because my office turns into my home theater. The 65"4k TV I use has horrible DPI but it's great for content consumption. I've been considering an 8k 75" but I REALLY like ultrawide monitors, I just hate them with excessive curves. This has a very subtle curve. So instead of an 8k 75" I've been considering the option if getting a retractable screen for a projector and putting an ultrawide on my desk.

That 49" ultrawide OLED has my loins frothy

Got DisplayPort 2.1?

You'd be a lot cooler if you did.
It seems like it has ancient dp 1.4, why have a future proof product that everyone wants when you can cause gamers to upgrade twice.
For now I will keep my performance capped at 120 hz on my cx and still have the latency of uncapped performance of 4k 240 fps in Vermitide 2 max settings.

Do OLED screen have brightness uniformity issues, or would that be very hard to get due to individual brightness?

If you had a completely white screen up, would you see inconsistencies?

I ask because I had a terrible time with Asus's monitors several years ago.

Do OLED screen have brightness uniformity issues, or would that be very hard to get due to individual brightness?

OLED's generally have good uniformity, QD-OLED has exceptional uniformity, must be the way Samsung make them or maybe they just have a tighter quality control compared to LG.

OLEDs tend to be excellent at uniformity. There will be some variance of course, and over a period of years some pixels will naturally were faster then others, but uniformity of one of OLEDs strong suits compared to traditional LED tech.

Doesn't really matter; all supported resolutions and feature sets fall within HDMI 2.1 specifications.
No they don't. HDMI 2.1 supports 4K only up to 120Hz. The extra 120Hz is pumped compressed through DP 1.4, which sucks. Such product is supposed to have DP 2.1 for that, but it does not. Hard pass.

Nut sure about the panel itself but in terms of firmware the monitor needs to have option to disable ABL - Automatic Brightness Limiter. Because this is what makes the screen much dimmer when displaying a full white window compared to say 10%. It's a safety feature but I would argue that running full white window on OLED is a bad idea regardless. Thankfully ABL can be disabled with this monitor.
1440 just doesn’t cut it. Looking at text is like stepping backwards in time.
This monitor is 4K. Also the subpixel layout is optimized for better text clarity.
Doesn't really matter; all supported resolutions and feature sets fall within HDMI 2.1 specifications.
No they dont. HDMI 2.1 has peak bandwidth of 48Gbps. This monitor, when displaying full 4K 240Hz 10bit HDR at 4:4:4 chroma requires ~70,7Gbps. They only way to hit that is to use DSC.

You can't use HDMI 2.1 to reach 240Hz, you can only use DisplayPort with DSC to reach it.
HDMI 2.1 fully supports DSC 1.2a, though it is an optional aspect of the specification. As long as both ports are using the maximum transmission speeds, 4K @ 240 Hz is possible.

HDMI 2.1 fully supports DSC 1.2a, though it is an optional aspect of the specification. As long as both ports are using the maximum transmission speeds, 4K @ 240 Hz is possible.
I'm too used to screen manufacturers offering "HDMI 2.1" that's barely any better than HDMI 2.0 :p

Here's a question, why are we not seeing DisplayPort 2.0 on any monitors yet? AMD and Intel support it, Nvidia would be crazy not to support it on their next gen, but no monitors seem to be moving over to it?

Here's a question, why are we not seeing DisplayPort 2.0 on any monitors yet? AMD and Intel support it, Nvidia would be crazy not to support it on their next gen, but no monitors seem to be moving over to it?
It's a very good question, one for which I've not seen a conclusive answer, but I suspect it's about monitor manufacturers just wanting to cover all possible bases and keep costs as low as possible -- e.g. no need to include DP2.0 and HDMI 2.1 when the latter can be used by graphics cards and consoles; using just DP2.0 excludes consoles; the use of HDMI will most likely involve licensing fees, so no point in increasing production costs further by including a DP 2.0 port when a v1.4 one will be cheaper to have; etc.

It's a very good question, one for which I've not seen a conclusive answer, but I suspect it's about monitor manufacturers just wanting to cover all possible bases and keep costs as low as possible -- e.g. no need to include DP2.0 and HDMI 2.1 when the latter can be used by graphics cards and consoles; using just DP2.0 excludes consoles; the use of HDMI will most likely involve licensing fees, so no point in increasing production costs further by including a DP 2.0 port when a v1.4 one will be cheaper to have; etc.
If that's the logic behind it, Do you reckon we'll ever see DP2.0 ports on monitors and it'll be phased out as a standard? Maybe due to Nvidia's vast GPU market share, it'll take them releasing GPU's with the latest DisplayPort in-order to kick monitor manufacturers into gear?

Sorry for all the questions but one last one and it's specific to this monitor in the article. Is there a benefit going with HDMI 2.1 with DSC to reach 240Hz 4K HDR vs DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC? I guess, if the answer is "they'd be the same" maybe that's why they haven't bothered with DP2.0.

If that's the logic behind it, Do you reckon we'll ever see DP2.0 ports on monitors and it'll be phased out as a standard? Maybe due to Nvidia's vast GPU market share, it'll take them releasing GPU's with the latest DisplayPort in-order to kick monitor manufacturers into gear?
I have no doubt that Nvidia's reluctance to switch to DP2.0 is a significant factor behind the dearth of monitors sporting it -- the industry will almost certainly be sharing statistics on cards being sold and even if they're not, the likes of MSI and Asus will know what the distribution of GPUs is like. DP2.0 is only going to be of use to a certain sector and those companies will know what the market share is like.

Sorry for all the questions but one last one and it's specific to this monitor in the article. Is there a benefit going with HDMI 2.1 with DSC to reach 240Hz 4K HDR vs DisplayPort 1.4 with DSC? I guess, if the answer is "they'd be the same" maybe that's why they haven't bothered with DP2.0.
On paper, DP1.4+DSC provides sufficient bandwidth to do standard timed 4K @ 240 Hz, just as HDMI 2.1 does, so there's no call for 2.0 on that basis.

I've found that DP is very sensitive to what cables are being used, especially at high resolution + high refresh rate combinations. I had to go through three different sets to find one that would work on my 27" 4K 144 Hz monitor. Perhaps it's even worse with 2.0...

Back