Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ Review: 35-inch, 1440p, 100Hz, FreeSync

I might want this even though I'm running with an nVidia GPU... it ticks most of the boxes on my needs list and has a really good price tag at that. I can probably hold 100 fps in most games so I hope it's a bit of a non-issue anyway - if it becomes one I'll pop in a second GPU when the prices drop back to normal.

Hmmmmm .... I'm one of those budget tight people that will wait for it to drop to $200 .... which, the way the market is going shouldn't take more than 12-18 months or so ......

I might want this even though I'm running with an nVidia GPU... it ticks most of the boxes on my needs list and has a really good price tag at that. I can probably hold 100 fps in most games so I hope it's a bit of a non-issue anyway - if it becomes one I'll pop in a second GPU when the prices drop back to normal.
I'm kind of in the same boat too. I'm also an nVidia user, but this monitor still ticks most of my boxes as well and the price tag isn't completely eye watering... Maybe I'll splurge on myself for once after I get my taxes done? XD

Well, at $3500 the SpectraCAL CALMAN 5 probably won't be an option for just about anyone buying this monitor. Luckily it seems to do okay without it. However, that bottom bezel is bigger than Leno's chin, and they're still using that cheesy stand.

Probably a simple thing, but I haven't looked into it so I'll ask here: Is there a point to getting a high refresh display with the opposite brand of sync technology than your gfx card? In other words, as an Nvidia owner, is getting a high refresh display with freesync beneficial at all and if so how?

Probably a simple thing, but I haven't looked into it so I'll ask here: Is there a point to getting a high refresh display with the opposite brand of sync technology than your gfx card? In other words, as an Nvidia owner, is getting a high refresh display with freesync beneficial at all and if so how?
No, there's absolutely no advantage other than saving a few hundred bucks. Anyone trying to push 3440x1440 to 100Hz needs to be sporting a pretty high-end GPU setup. At this resolution, large framerate swings are bound to happen and they will create a lot of stuttering and tearing without the appropriate sync technology, While saving a few hundred bucks is nothing to sneeze at, the trade-off would be noticeably poorer performance.

It's not a deal breaker for some but I personally wouldn't do it and just keep saving up. I've heard of several people who bought the Alienware AW3418DW on sale for $899. That monitor has 120Hz, Gsync, an IPS panel and faster response time. For the extra $100- well worth it if one plans to stick with Nvidia for the next few years or more.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
How large is the FreeSync range? I hope it's not crappy might as well not be there 80-100Hz like the Pixio. Even Korean monitor feature 45-100Hz FreeSync range.

Speaking of which Crossover 34U100 is only $499 so $300 is not a few dollars. I don't know how decent is monitor insurance but you can buy 3 years plan to cover the crossover for like $60.

Likewise Crossover UW3535 has same panel as Acer Z35P so it's newer and better specs wise (120 Hz) for $100 less.

Needless to say, there are not any FreeSync capable GPUs for sale in Europe for any even near reasonable prices. Thus making the thing sadly rather pointless for now. I have high hopes for good performing FreeSync capable APU's in the near future, the miners will not want hopefully.

Hmmmmm .... I'm one of those budget tight people that will wait for it to drop to $200 .... which, the way the market is going shouldn't take more than 12-18 months or so ......

$200 in 12-18 months....... don't think so!

You will have to increase your budget or look elsewhere.

$200 in 12-18 months....... don't think so!

You will have to increase your budget or look elsewhere.
I'm guessing his post was meant to be sarcastic, but if not, I'd like to point out that the Acer Predator X34A is now two years old and still sports a $999 price tag. It retailed for $1299. Monitors like this will likely never become inexpensive.

Forget that,, your IGP won't be able to drive it anyway. now that's what I call sarcasm...

Nope! not good enough,I mean ,its ok but... I'll wait some more for an ultrawide, 4k, curved, 100/120 Hz ,Gsync ,Gaming display. to replace my 3007WFP-HC 30" Dell,I paid 1599.00 cdn for when it went on sale due to the release of the next model.3008WFP,so I won't mind to pay in that range again .but it has to be as "Jaw Dropping"as my 30" Dell was when I first set it up.SPOILED.

just did a search, there is a 3007WFP on Ebay ,a refurb ,B grade still fetching 750.00. holding some value still..released in 2006.lol

Last edited:
How large is the FreeSync range? I hope it's not crappy might as well not be there 80-100Hz like the Pixio. Even Korean monitor feature 45-100Hz FreeSync range.

Speaking of which Crossover 34U100 is only $499 so $300 is not a few dollars. I don't know how decent is monitor insurance but you can buy 3 years plan to cover the crossover for like $60.

Likewise Crossover UW3535 has same panel as Acer Z35P so it's newer and better specs wise (120 Hz) for $100 less.
The Asus website says the FreeSync range is 48-100Hz. My Gsync monitor does 30-120Hz. The difference between 30 and 48 doesn't sound like much, but it would certainly make a difference to someone without a top notch card on a really demanding game. Still, 48-100Hz is a wider range than I've seen on some FreeSync models. Some of them have such a narrow zone that it's a joke.

No, there's absolutely no advantage other than saving a few hundred bucks. Anyone trying to push 3440x1440 to 100Hz needs to be sporting a pretty high-end GPU setup. At this resolution, large framerate swings are bound to happen and they will create a lot of stuttering and tearing without the appropriate sync technology, While saving a few hundred bucks is nothing to sneeze at, the trade-off would be noticeably poorer performance.

It's not a deal breaker for some but I personally wouldn't do it and just keep saving up. I've heard of several people who bought the Alienware AW3418DW on sale for $899. That monitor has 120Hz, Gsync, an IPS panel and faster response time. For the extra $100- well worth it if one plans to stick with Nvidia for the next few years or more.

Just my two cents.
If you have the horsepower those really aren't issues, and gsync itself can cause stuttering. I leave gsync disabled ; my 1080Tis are generally plenty to drive 7680x1440 at high to very high settings, 3440x1440 wouldn't really pose an issue @ultra.

If you have the horsepower those really aren't issues, and gsync itself can cause stuttering. I leave gsync disabled ; my 1080Tis are generally plenty to drive 7680x1440 at high to very high settings, 3440x1440 wouldn't really pose an issue @ultra.
No, Gsync does not cause stuttering, although stuttering may occasionally occur despite Gsync. And yes, even with lots of horsepower, poorly optimized games will have fps swings. My 1080 Ti doesn't like ME Andromeda and my frame rates swing between 120 and 60 depending on the location in the game. Why would anyone buy a Gsync monitor and then leave it disabled? O_o

Last edited:
No, Gsync does not cause stuttering, although stuttering may occasionally occur despite Gsync. And yes, even with lots of horsepower, poorly optimized games will have fps swings. My 1080 Ti doesn't like ME Andromeda and my frame rates swing between 120 and 60 depending on the location in the game. Why would anyone buy a Gsync monitor and then leave it disabled? O_o

Gsync is known to cause stuttering. Test is off, no stutter, on stutterfest. Really with 1080Tis there is no advantage to gsync. That is why I leave it disabled. At this point I don't bother factoring gsync as a feature for monitor purchases.

Gsync is known to cause stuttering. Test is off, no stutter, on stutterfest. Really with 1080Tis there is no advantage to gsync. That is why I leave it disabled. At this point I don't bother factoring gsync as a feature for monitor purchases.
Well, you may be experiencing problems, but a sample size of *one* doesn't prove that "Gsync causes stuttering". Before blaming the tech, make sure it's not an error on your end:

You should have Max pre-rendered frames set to 1 globally in NCP
You should be playing in full screen mode (not borderless windowed)
You should be disabling vsync in the game's menu
You should be limiting your fps to two or three frames less than your monitor's refresh rate, via Rivatuner or something similar
You should consider the possibility that you may have a faulty Gsync module in your monitor

I use a single 1080Ti at 3440x1440p 120Hz and Gsync works flawlessly in every game. No stuttering going on here...

Well, you may be experiencing problems, but a sample size of *one* doesn't prove that "Gsync causes stuttering". Before blaming the tech, make sure it's not an error on your end:

You should have Max pre-rendered frames set to 1 globally in NCP
You should be playing in full screen mode (not borderless windowed)
You should be disabling vsync in the game's menu
You should be limiting your fps to two or three frames less than your monitor's refresh rate, via Rivatuner or something similar
You should consider the possibility that you may have a faulty Gsync module in your monitor

I use a single 1080Ti at 3440x1440p 120Hz and Gsync works flawlessly in every game. No stuttering going on here...
Not just one. Google is your friend.

Not just one. Google is your friend.
Ahh yes, the old "Google is your friend" comeback. Very original!

Please provide a link from a legitimate tech website to substantiate these claims. Otherwise, it's just a collection of PEBCAK complaints.

Hopefully, you followed my suggestions to figure out why your setup is having issues.

Last edited:
Ahh yes, the old "Google is your friend" comeback. Very original!

Please provide a link from a legitimate tech website to substantiate these claims. Otherwise, it's just a collection of PEBCAK complaints.

Hopefully, you followed my suggestions to figure out why your setup is having issues.

Actually; I just bought the monitor in this article and it has been pretty fantastic; notice 0 difference with my prior Gsync monitor. Placebo effect of Gsync confirmed!

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...ix-lastest-driver-works-385-69-fix-/?offset=7

Last edited:
Back