Asus Transformer Infinity 700 HD tablet, Asus Padfone hands-on

Julio Franco

Staff member

The Asus Transformer Inifinity 700 TF700T tablet is a higher-end version of the Transformer Prime. The 700 sports a very high-resolution 1920 x 1200 pixel 10.1-inch Full HD display, with great colors and high viewing angles. It is powered by either a quad-core NVIDIA Tegra 3 or dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processors depending on configuration. It runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and has an optional keyboard dock like the other Transformer tablets from Asus.

Also improved with the TF700T are GPS and Wi-Fi performance, a sore spot with the Transformer Prime that was released in December. Asus says it redesigned the back cover of the tablet to improve radio reception. The TF700T is expected to ship in Q2 2012. The 32GB version is expected to cost $599, while the 64GB edition will command $699.

Another interesting product from Asus. The company has been talking about its Padfone smartphone and tablet combo device for a long time, but it's not until now they have locked down a final hardware design and were ready to show it off at Mobile World Congress.

The phone section of the Padfone has a 4.3-inch, qHD Super AMOLED display with bright and vibrant colors and great viewing angles. It is powered by a dual-core 1.5GHz processor and runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. The phone then docks into the back of the tablet portion of the Padfone, which has a 10.1-inch 1280 x 800 pixel display and extended battery that can charge the phone's battery. The tablet is powered by the phone's processor, and provides users with the tablet version of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Finally, the tablet portion can then dock into a keyboard dock, effectively making the Padfone a full laptop. Asus expects to bring the Padfone to market in April, but it has not announced pricing at this time.

Permalink to story.

I've never been overly excited about smartphones or tablets, but this is really neat. I still would never buy it, but nonetheless.

Probably going to be $500. whats the point of having a nice phone when you cover the screen for a bigger one. a tablet is a big screen phone this is really unnecisiary

I really wonder how you know it'll be too much money when noone has released any pricing.

The Padfone is a bit disappointing design-wise with the clunky/sharp edges on the back where the phone is held. The original concept version was more appealing. And the overall thickness is disappointing - why is the tablet so much thicker in areas outside the phone dock location vs the much thinner Prime?

It's a great concept using the phone to power your tablet and keep all data in one place (and only pay for one data plan), but what if you get a call while you are using the tablet? Can you talk using the tablet mic?

Too bad Asus didn't get together with Samsung/HTC to make a tablet that could accept phones from other manufacturers. Would significantly broaden the market for such a device.

Too much money? How much does an iPhone or Galaxy cost? The phone companies buy more than half the phone for you- and put you on contract.

This is brilliant because you don't have to worry about moving data anymore. You don't have to worry about finding wifi for your tablet, it's builtin to the phone. Don't stress about getting stuff off your phone to your bigger device, just dock it. Want to actually WORK on your tablet? use a keyboard/mouse/touchpad!

Guest said:
Too much money? How much does an iPhone or Galaxy cost? The phone companies buy more than half the phone for you- and put you on contract.

This is brilliant because you don't have to worry about moving data anymore. You don't have to worry about finding wifi for your tablet, it's builtin to the phone. Don't stress about getting stuff off your phone to your bigger device, just dock it. Want to actually WORK on your tablet? use a keyboard/mouse/touchpad!
It's too much money because it doesn't have Apple stamped on it... duh?

Can you talk using the tablet mic?
This is the way the original Padfone video showed. While in tablet mode, you will see a pop-up showing an incoming call and the typical options that follow.

I am sure with a BT device it will work just like a phone. I imagine without a headset device, it will work just like a speaker phone as the current Transformers do when video chatting.

It seems to me there already is device out there. The Webtop pro 500, with it's brain as the razr. Is it because the Asus is a tablet is that why all the attention? So revolutionary. I'd rather have the keyboard on the motorola webtop. I like the trend.

Sorry, it seems u havnt heard about the stylus headset. The padfone is well structured, am only worried about the thickness and weight of the Station, the Qualcomms S4 Krait CPUs are doing well. Good job Asus.

The WebTop has been considered to be a crappy experience all around; this Asus design is flawless, and integrates PERFECTLY with the OS. It's a wonderful design, blows WebTop out of the water in my opinion.

Infinity 700, very nice, I feel more inclined to get this tablet than the new high resolution iPad.

Guess what people would say if the devices are ipad 4 and iphone 5. People will go crazy and lineup for weeks outside Apple retail store.

This concept will be useful if the OS is Windows 8. At lease you can get some real work done instead of just an entertainment tool.

The Asus Tansformer 300 is the model which fixes all the problems. Unlike the 700 it has a PLASTIC back plate, which you can swap out with other colors. There taking a clue from Toshiba who offered many colors for replacing the backplates to customize it to your own liking.

The 300 model uses 1280x800 resolution, no metal backplate so no more Wifi and GPS interference. This model sells for same price as the TF201 at 499, the TF700 model has
a 1920x1200 screen, your going to pay 599 for 32gb and 699 for 64gb..

You can notice the 700 Infinity got a plastic area on its back, so I guess it's were Asus will put their Wifi and GPS receivers. So no interference I guess.
Asus learned a little (I hope) from the Transformer Prime, so hopefully they won't do the same errors twice!
Personal taste: Aluminium is ways more sexy than Plastic ^^

I would get it because it's an ASUS but I won't get it because tablets are pointless. I already have a smartphone and a high powered PC. Why would I need a tablet lol.

Back