Asus Z490-A no video

Hello all, old builder in a new world of puters, so sorry if sounds like newbee. new installed ASUS Z490-A powers up, no trouble leds, fans, nifty lights, and no video output. so far checked connections, and CPU. no difference with dpi, or hdmi. I dont have anything VGA. did try removing cmos battery for 5 min, and no change. any help greatly appreciated.

Two questions: what CPU are you using and did you switch the Graphics Configuration in the BIOS to CPU graphics?

Do you know if it’s exactly an Intel i5-10400? I only ask because the i5-10400F variant has no built in graphics chip; all of the other 10400 models do.

If it definitely has a graphics chip, then your next option is to dive into the BIOS.

That’s good - that model definitely has a graphics chip built into it.

I was about to start going through the BIOS settings to check but if you’re not getting any video signal at all, then you won’t see the BIOS screen. Is that the case?

Yep, that's where I'm at. Now someone had mentioned about an 8 pin power plug near the top left. there are red lights on that, but not sure what that is.

The 8 pin power plug near the CPU/cooler has to be plugged in or the whole thing won't work. The CPU needs the extra power. Most modern 500w PSU have that plug. Sometimes you have to put the 2 4 pins together. There is a clip there so make sure it is clipped on.

I really should have followed up on that, we did finally realize the error. We wound up buying a new power supply to remedy this. I do however, greatly appreciate the explanation. Thank you :)

Back