AT&T roadmap outlines plan to bring fiber to 100 U.S. cities

Shawn Knight

Staff member

AT&T on Monday published a roadmap that aims to bring fiber Internet connectivity to 100 cities and municipalities across the country. The service would deliver U-Verse TV and broadband speeds of up to 1 gigabit per second to both consumers and businesses, AT&T said in a press release on the matter.

The list of 21 candidate metropolitan areas includes: Atlanta, Augusta, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Fort Worth, Fort Lauderdale, Greensboro, Houston, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Los Angeles, Miami, Nashville, Oakland, Orlando, San Antonio, San Diego, St. Louis, San Francisco and San Jose.

internet roadmap att fiber

Factoring in previously announced markets, AT&T now has committed to or is exploring 25 metro areas for fiber deployment.

Lori Lee, senior executive vice president, AT&T Home Solutions, said they’re working with communities that appreciate the value of advanced technologies.

It’s worth putting a spotlight on the language used by AT&T in the release, specifically, the word “exploring.” This means the company is working with local leaders to go over things like development, financing and timing – it doesn’t necessarily mean that each of the cities listed in the roadmap are a lock for the service.

AT&T’s GigaPower service debuted in Austin and some surrounding communities in December 2013 with plans to roll out in parts of Dallas this summer. The company anticipates its wired IP broadband network will reach 57 million customers across 22 states by the end of 2015.

Permalink to story.

All I can really say is, it's nice to see the big carriers pushed into this. They don't want to see Google, take over as the dominating company. Also really wish Canada would wake up, and stop slacking off with it's insane prices and poor speeds.

$80 for a 15/10 which in reality is 15/1, because of the distance. All they worry about is the download, upload isn't a priority for them. So there went my general hopes, of using it for streaming services in the end. I wonder really what the price of AT&T's service will be, Google has at least given a large motivation for this. Otherwise people would be otherwise stuck, of course not everyone is privileged for high speeds in general.

Why nothing for New York? If I were AT&T, NY would be my first choice due to the population density.

Why nothing for New York? If I were AT&T, NY would be my first choice due to the population density.

Your state isn't the center of the universe. We don't care if it was "your choice" either.
It could be due to a number of reasons: state not wanting to cooperate with AT&T, other competition preventing them from rolling out Fiber, amount of money and time to roll it out, or just that your state sucks in general.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2WKny3eZE

Your state isn't the center of the universe. We don't care if it was "your choice" either.
It could be due to a number of reasons: state not wanting to cooperate with AT&T, other competition preventing them from rolling out Fiber, amount of money and time to roll it out, or just that your state sucks in general.
I really take offense at that you know? I dont hate on your country and/or region... why hate on my beloved state (n)?

On the other hand though, there is a lot of competition here. We have 4 major ISPs here so that is why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj2WKny3eZE

Why do you have to be so rude? He was just voicing an opinion.

Dear all Service providers, Y U NO GIVE DC METRO AREA/NORTHEAST US ANY LOVE.

Incidentally, rolling out to the DC metro area would be great; might push Verizon to start expanding FIOS again and start pricing "competitively" to someone besides Comcast. =p

I pay nearly half that for 1/20th the speed. As far as I know google only charges about $70/mo for their gb service - lower than what I pay now.

....[ ]....Incidentally, rolling out to the DC metro area would be great; might push Verizon to start expanding FIOS again and start pricing "competitively" to someone besides Comcast. =p
Right, because nothing would serve the people of the US better, than lightning fast internet service for all the lobbyists in our nation's capital.....

Right, because nothing would serve the people of the US better, than lightning fast internet service for all the lobbyists in our nation's capital.....
Well it would certainly leave them with more time to waste, without having to wait for the chainmail like documents to download in their emails... :rolleyes:

Back