AT&T to support MMS for iPhone users September 25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

After several attempted lawsuits and much chagrin, AT&T is reportedly gearing up to launch MMS for iPhone users on September 25. The feature was advertised to arrive in the late summer several months back -- and while September 25 technically isn't summer, a few days late is better than never.

Acknowledging the delay, AT&T said "it was important to give our customers a positive experience from day one." The carrier simply needed extra time to ensure that its network could handle a large amount of MMS traffic. The update will be pushed to 3G and 3GS owners in the way of a software update.

Unfortunately, tethering won't be making an appearance on the 25. Although AT&T expects to offer tethering in the future, they again cited a lack of network readiness. The feature could cause a traffic surge that their network simply isn't equipped to cope with yet.

Permalink to story.

I just found out, AT&T stands for Ain't Talking & Texting, fewest bars in most places. I can't exactly say that I've been thrilled by the number of dropped calls that I suffer through on their service. The iPhone is a gadget to lust over for sure, but paired to AT&T's high prices and spotty service it's not a deal worthy of the commitment. Its no wonder why they've lost the top spot for the most customers.

ATT and the other networks really need to stop milking their customers with the old equipment and use all that loot they are collecting from text messaging and American Idol to develop a better network. Why can't their network handle it? In there defense, often companies that should be prepared for these things are almost always not. They should at least had a road map before customers started bitching to them.
Digression:
I disagree with the statement about bars and signal. All the major phone service Sprint, Verizon, ATT, and T-Moble provide basically the same in reliability. I know people that use each one, have changed around, and they we have all discussed over the years the same issues and concerns. The companies are using much of the same hardware. Quality in service is also about the phone you us. By a crappy phone, you will also get crappy service. Unfortunately there is no one definitive place that tests the phones in such a way to hel consumers make a choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back