ATI Radeon 9600XT very weird problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got this card a few days ago (ati radeon 9600x 256 ram). It is replacing a radeon 9250 128 ram.
With the 9250, I was able to hook up my tv and have my desktop on both my tv and monitor although video could only show on one of them but that is normal from what I read.

I uninstalled the drivers and removed the card and replaced it with the new card as instructions said. I used the s-video cable in the box as it was a 4 pin one compared to the 7 pin one with the old card. There are 2 monitor output connectors on the card, one for dvi and one normal one like I had in the other card. I have a crt monitor so attached it to the normal output and the monitor didn't pick anything up when I turned the computer on. So i then used the convertor they provided and attached it to the dvi port and it all worked normally. That seemed odd but as it seemed to work just fine I didn't think to complain. After windows booted up, I connected the S-video cable and as soon as i attached it, the colours on my monitor mess up. It's tough to describe it but basically its like a tinge of blue suddenly comes over the whole screen changing all the colours so you can't tell what is red or orange or green etc.. Also, there is a kind of blur in any icons and letters so it looks like a light outline is next to every letter or icon . I have no idea why this is happening. Changing my refresh rate has no effect either. As soon as I unplug the s-video though the screen goes back to normal instantly.

The second problem is that I can't put the signal onto both monitor and tv at the same time. When I go the displays tab in the catalyst program, it will only let me select either the tv or the monitor. It unselects one when the other is pressed. When monitor is selected I get this nasty interference like screen on the tv and you can't see any picture. If the tv is selected then it turns the monitor off and I have to look at my TV to select the monitor option again. All my options in outlay are greyed out too and there is no clone mode in displays tab, just options to switch between screens or use a default single screen.

The reason I want this is because I used to be able to play movies for my nephew by just running them in a tiny window on my desktop and that would transfer to full screen on the tv and I could still use my computer to work.

Any help whatsoever would be really appreciated, I don't usually bother people on forums with this stuff but I just can't find anyone that has even heard of this problem thus far.

Cheers :hotbounce

Hi mrcavy,

You can download the Radeon 9600-series User's Manual (in PDF form) at:
http://www2.ati.com/manuals/Rade9600.pdf

Page 6 of the manual details what kinds of combinations are supported for monitor, crt, dvi + tv out.

On Page 6, the chart declares:
"CRT Display + TV" - "VGA Connector + TV Out"
Then has comments:
"Unsupported configuration if the CRT display is attached to the DVI-I connector via a DVI-I to VGA Adapter"

So what you are trying to do cannot work.

What you need to do is diagnose and troubleshoot why the 15-pin VGA output is not feeding a signal to your monitor. In this configuration, you should be fine and VGA + TV-Out should work fine.

I would try powering down your system, removing the DVI-I to VGA adapter and plugging your VGA connector into the 15-pin connector on the card once more to see if it finally senses the VGA display... now that the board has been initialized/reset from the inclusion of Windows Drivers in your current configuration. This should allow what you are trying to do. If not, you may have a bad card.

Doh, the manual in my box is different to that one! I plugged monitor back into the vga connector, turned it off and on and it all works perfectly now. I feel like a tit for forgetting to try and switch it back before I wrote that. Thanks a lot for all the help though mate, very appreciated :)

:angel:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back