Ati to Asus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fist of Fury 2k

I play Tiger Woods 2005 golf on line and was using a Radeon ATI 9600 pro until recently.

We download course that other players create some of which I was having trouble playing with my ati card (massive lag offline and on).

Someone recommended the ASUS N6600gt so I went ahad and installed it it.

The installation was easy enough, cleaned out my drivers etc and connected the 4 pin whatever it called.

The first thing I noticed was on start up unlike my ATI it opened up on a 800 *600 screen resolution, refresh rate 60 hertz and color qualty 16 bit medium.

Immediatley the worry set in I had bought an inferior card and nothing so far has changed my mind.

I changed my resolution to 1024 * 768 and started up my game and immediately I got a warning that my card wasn't recieving enough power.

It seems that courses I played before are now a problem and my comp has frozen several times when going into games on line.

I went to nvideo's site and downlaoded a new driver and my game wouldnt even start so searched around and came across omega drivers which seem slightly better but the problem still exists.

I am beginning to wonder if this card is just not powerfull enough but can't really comment as my knowledge is somewhat restricted.

I was wondering if this could this be motherboard related and thought about installing a new driver but I was too unsure of which driver if any I should install.

I have even tried reformatting my hard drive C/: and reinstalled windows but that did nothing to help

I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have as I am totally dumfounded.

My comp spec is as follows:-

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600)
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2566 megahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Board: ASOCK P4AL-800 1.0
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. P1.90 09/10/2004
Drives Memory Modules c,d
120.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
81.98 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

LITE-ON LTR-52327S [CD-ROM drive]
LITEON CD-ROM LTN526D
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST340016A [Hard drive] (33.82 GB) -- drive 1
ST380021A [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
Slot '1' has 512 MB
Slot '2' is Empty
Slot '3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (on drive 0) 80.02 GB 61.37 GB free
d: (on drive 1) 40.01 GB 20.62 GB free

Fist of Fury 2K said:
I changed my resolution to 1024 * 768 and started up my game and immediately I got a warning that my card wasn't recieving enough power.
It seems to me you ignored this warning and tried to address everything but this problem. All power supplies are not equal in quality regardless of their nominal wattage rating. Or perhaps yours is just going south.

Spot on guys I just installed a new psu and everthing is 100% I am just not sure where I go from here

My colour quality is set at medium 16 bit.... refresh rate is 60 hertz and resolution 800 by 600 can I change these without badly affecting performance?

I'm on windows xp and read somewhwere a while back that xp doesn't allow you to change your refresh rate...........any comments or advice on settings would be welcome

Thanks

My colour quality is set at medium 16 bit.... refresh rate is 60 hertz and resolution 800 by 600 can I change these without badly affecting performance?

First you should set your colour quality to 32bit, and depending on the size of your monitor, a resolution of 1024x768 is fairly standard these days.

If while you are at the settings page you click on the advanced button, and then the monitor tab, you can change the refresh rate. Make sure that the box that says hide modes that this monitor cannot display is ticked. If you take a look at your monitor manual it should tell you what refresh rate it supports.

Doing the above will improve the performance of your display.

Regards Howard :)

I did exactly as you suggested but unfortunately I got terrrible lag (offline) with the driver that came with the card. Nothing to do with the settings as the same thing happened prior to me changing them.

I reinstalled the driver and attempted to start up the game again and it froze like a kipper.

I immediately went to the ASUS website to see if there were any new drivers and low and behold there was...............I unistalled cleaned and installed the new driver 5 times........Guess what? Yup wouldn't even run the pre-video on starting the game.never mind run the actual game..........these guys at nvideo/asus really got to get there act together.

Not one to give up I came across a site with Omega drivers amd thought why not............went through the procedure and their driver works like a charm with your settings I am off and running...........the first course I tried flickered like mad for some reason but all others to date are perfect..Thanks for your help guys ..............better you fellows than nvideo who IMO haven't got a clue what they are doing :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back