ATX or BTX

AMDIsTheBest010

hey everybody:

what do you guys prefer? ATX or BTX? I personally like BTX, because it almost eliminates heat issues brought forth by new dual CPUs and more power intense GPUs. I was just wondering what the rest of you guys and gals thought about it.

...AMD

I have an atx case, although I hear that BTX is much better for heat. I would probably go with BTX, although I have never had one.

EDIT:
Never mind, I would go with an atx case, as they have more options for building.

I like my BTX's heat dispersion. My Pentiun 4 Extreme Edition 3.4ghz runs at 40C idle and 45C underload(not bad for a Prescott). However BTX components (especially motherboards) are very dificult to find and the new Core 2 Duos run cool enough that BTX is unnessary, so If I were to build a new system today i would probably go for a Core 2 Duo and ATX but I would get a case with good airflow.

I would stick to ATX for the time being. Better use an actual standard than something that can go belly up any time. Anyone use or remember things like LFX or CFX :p

Where do you actually get BTX components, ive only seen cases that advertise as BTX ready, do you need a special motherboards, or is it just the way it's mounted?

Nodsu said:
I would stick to ATX for the time being. Better use an actual standard than something that can go belly up any time. Anyone use or remember things like LFX or CFX :p

I used to work on old Gateways (P3s) and they had their own proprietary Mobo and I can not remeber the name of it for the life of me. It had some odd riser card.

Anyways,

I like the idea of BTX, obviously alot better layed out for cooling. But it is not enough for me to but a new mobo.

Finchy said:
Where do you actually get BTX components, ive only seen cases that advertise as BTX ready, do you need a special motherboards, or is it just the way it's mounted?

you get BTX components at places like Newegg and Tiger direcrt although selection is limited. Dell and gateway use BTX on most of their new desktop systems and sony uses BTX in some of their's. The differenceis the placement of components on the motherboard and the placement of fans in the case.High heat components like the CPU,ram,chipsets are mounted near the center of the board and the video card is mounted in a way that it's heatsink is in the main system airflow. There are 2 120mm fans one front and one rear in the center of the case to cool these components and oftain a 92mm fan on the CPU.

my gateway PC that i purchased in April 06', doesnt even have a CPU fan. It has a 120MM fan at the front, and a 120MM fan at the rear, and thats it. it doesnt have a PSU fan. instead of having the CPU, and RAM sit parralel to eachother, they sit top and bottom. there is a huge green aricapture device that pulls air from the front, runs it over the 1. CPU 2. RAM 3. HD 4. GPU then another fan kicks the hot air out in the front. it runs ultra quiet too. i leave it on at night when im asleep and i cant even hear it.

I'll post a pic tommorow so you can actually see what im talkin about.

...AMD

Gateway and Dell use a duct to funnel the air from the front fan onto the CPU heatsink in their BTX systems and eliminate the CPU fan.It does make the system quiter but they do run a little hotter than BTX systems with a dedicated CPU fan aswell. However they still run cooler than equivalent ATX systems.

My Dell that I got in March 2006 has BTX, but unlike Gateway dell only uses 1 case fan, but I think the power supply has a fan as well. But at the near front inside there is a black duct with a fan in it and the cpu is inside of it with a hink sink and the air comes in though the front and passes the cpu and runs through the rest of the computer then goes out the back. Also the harddrives in Dell btx's cases are in the front with a vent of there own. Also the ram is near the top of the motherboard horizontally not vertically like atx. Also on the black duct piece the wires are neatly organized with likely slots where all th wires go for even better air flow. I think it is so nice and makes your system way less hot and also it reduces on the noise. Also Dell's cases are so nice because they are tool free all you do is pull back the latch on the top and the side comes free. I dont know how others are I would guess they probably are tool free as well.

yea, gateways cases are tool free as well. you unsrew one thrumbscrew, then there is a big lever of the left side at the rear of the case, that you lift the lever, and the left side flips down. I love the BTX case, it eliminates the heat issues, and also makes the system whisper quiet.

As for you Tedster, a BTX mobo looks about the same, except as i said the RAM sits horizontal and not Vertical like ATX systems. plus the HDs (four of em) sit at the front of the case right under the fan. BTX mobos are mounted on the right side of the tower, unlike ATX which mounts them on the keft side.

...AMD

The only really problem that I see with BTX is limited selection of parts and upgrades. Mostly power supplys if your going to upgrade there not that many on the market. Also if your going to build your own there is a limited style of BTX cases and motherboards due to the fact its newer and isnt as common as ATX. But yes I love BTX the only problem I see now is limited selection in BTX items but that will change probably very soon.

AMDIsTheBest010 said:
my gateway PC that i purchased in April 06', doesnt even have a CPU fan.
Does the heatsink look like this?
I have an HP Media Center PC that has one like that, runs real quiet.

I didnt even think HP used BTX cases? Unless the ducts for it is on the sides? Gateways and Dells are easy to tell they have BTX because of how they make there cases but myabe HP makes them different?

The case (and everything else) is different for different product lines. You can't really say that HP or Dell has this or that.

At the bottom end you have generic cheap PC crap designed and made in mainland china with a special paint job and some HP stickers on. At the top you have special in-house designs made of quality parts. And in between you have everything else.

Well pretty much ALL computer parts are made in China or Malaysia and designed there as well. So how is there quality parts then if mostly all the computer parts such as motherboards, modems, graphic cards, vases, fans, etc are made and designed in China. And how is hp and dell cases genric there both name brand companies that make their own cases.

And how do you know this? You have some special sources that say where everything is designed and built?

For example, when Lenovo purchased IBM PC business, we learned that there's shedloads of design people in Ralegh, USA and Yamato Japan.. Why keep these design centres if everything is actually designed in China?

I think I know what I say because I have worked with many brand name PCs, laptops and servers and I have seen generic ATX cases with generic ATX PSUs and generic motherboards in them and I have seen proprietary cases with prorietary PSUs and proprietary motherboards in them all from the same brand name manufacturers, the only difference being the price range. Same for servers and laptops.

Well not EVERYTHING , but I did see a study somewhere that did say 95% of computers are assembled in Penang, Malaysia, and in China. Also Some computers and compents are designed in Calf., Texas, Etc. But for the most part yes it is China. And even though its designed in Japan or USA its still ususaly made in China. Or ususaly it can me Assembled in the USA but with the parts imported from China or Malaysia. But what i was trying to say few computer parts are really made in Japan or the USA anymore. So I'm sorry for stating ALL computers but 95% is a pretty large number.

Back