ATX shutdown lead controlling >1 CPU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savage1701

I have a Koolance cooling system that is capable of cooling more than 1 CPU. What I would like to know is this: Is it possible to connect the ATX shutdown lead to more than one MB ? And if so, how would one do that ? In other words, if an overtemp alarm occurs, does the liquid cooling controller close or open the 2-wire lead jumpered into the motherboard? Would one wire these ATX leads in series or parallel for multiple CPU's? Thanks for any help.

are you talking about the power button circuit or the power supply on/off function (connected directly to the mobo)? i'll assume it was the latter.
In other words, if an overtemp alarm occurs, does the liquid cooling controller close or open the 2-wire lead jumpered into the motherboard?
that really depends on your cooling system, and i have no idea what system you have.

some motherboards will shut down the system if the processor becomes too hot. others will do nothing and let the chip get so hot it can literally burn through the socket and fiberglass motherboard. if you motherboard is one of the latter, and you cooling system somehow has a feature that will shut down the computers, you need to cunsult the manual to said system.

if your cooling system has no such feature, you are SOL if the system does overheat when no one's around. i reccomend checking the BIOS and seeing what options your hardware gives you. some mobos have options that will sound an alarm or shutdown the system if the CPU temp reaches a certain level.

I did not think I was being that unclear. I've installed 3 different brands of liquid cooling systems. They all have the same sort of jumper that connects between the power button leads from the power button on the front of the computer case and that group of pins on the MB that has shutdown, reset, HDD activity, etc. on it. My only question is this: I assume that if an overtemp occurs the liquid cooling control module does the same thing as when I press the power button on the front of my case - it shuts the computer off. So, when that button is pushed, am I opening or closing a connection? Is the normal "power on" state of a computer due to the power button circuit being in a normally open or normally closed state? Does my pushing the power button open a circuit or close it?

The power button is a normally open circuit!!!!

The connector you speak of is far more likely to be for switching the water kit on and off when the pc also switches on and off!!!!!

my thoughts exctly, rik

the power button on a computer's case is meant to be a momentary switch, and the cooling system will respond to i as such. think of the atx power as a toggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back