Audio distortion on older machine -- Flash issue?

EXCellR8

I am trying to figure out what's wrong with an older machine I put together for my dad. It has a ~2.1ghz Athlon XP 3000+ processor, 1GB RAM, and a sound blaster Live! 24-bit PCI sound card. Very unimpressive machine by today's standards but he basically only needs it for web surfing and audio. He likes to use YouTube as a source to learn new music etc.

The problem I am having is whenever audio is streamed in the browser, which as of right now is Chrome, the (flash) playback is very distorted or garbled. I noticed that CPU usage is very high and I've disabled hardware acceleration which didn't seem to help. When audio files are played from the system however, be it .mp3 or .wav the audio is completely fine so I'm not sure what the problem is.

The computer is definitely somewhat of a relic but it should be able to stream audio/video just fine I would think. I am going to try a different/newer power supply and maybe try to find more RAM for it, but right now I can't figure out why the flash audio is messed up.

Back