Audio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCool

I have onboard C-Media CMI988OL 7.1 audio. I'm not really sure if my problem is with this, but what is going on is that I have tv tuner card and when I go in the set up to set up the sound it does not give me the option of selecting the line in as the audio source, because I currently have a cable going from audio out on the tv card to line in on the onboard audio. When I plug in the cord to the onboard audio I get a pop-up on my computer that says that something was plugged in and shows me a picture of the jacks with options to select what that current jack is being used as. I select line in on the correct jack. My tv tuner is a EasyTV MPEG Philips SAA713XHL. I have read through the book on this, and my motherboard book for any information about the onboard audio and I have found nothing. I should also mention that I just got a new computer, and last week I had this same tv card in my old computer and it worked just fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much

try instead to use the internal audio input. it should be 4 pins coming out of the tv card (refer to its manual) then connect it to the cd in or whatever its called on the motherboard (refer to its manual again.. ) on the mobo it is usualy connected to a cd/dvd drive and has 4 pins.. sometimes with a white plug housing or just 4 pins sticking up in a row..

when I go in the set up to set up the sound it does not give me the option of selecting the line in as the audio source
can you go into a little more detail? as in from the program or ??
generaly the line in, sound should already go through the pc.. just play something from the tv card, you see what i mean

Its in the set up for the tv program. When I go to choose the audio input source, it doesn't give me the option for line in. It almost makes me think that the problem is just with my tv set up program recognizing the line in on my onboard audio, but I have no clue how to fix it. It's super important to me, I just went back to working nights and now I can't watch Lost anymore, its driving me nuts! :) Also, it appears that I have no audio pins on my tv card, however I'll take it out for a better look.

ok. i understand.. so waht options are there to choose from? it maybe called a different name that can do the exact same thing.... and i'm sure you'd probably able to change teh settings later on after you can get at least visual runnign...

I have the options of CD player, and wave. I tried them both, neither works. The visual works just fine, I just get no sound.

i'm very sure it could be wave.. try using your microphone input jack..

just to chekc that its not the tv card thats at fault hook it up to a stereo system or powered speakers or something and see if you can get sound coming out of it while playing some tv..

It does work when connected directly to the speakers. Also, I did try to microphone port, however its not giving me the option of selecting that in the set up for the tv program. I actually uninstalled everything and reinstalled it and now it doesn't give me any options for audio source and now the sound works, it still won't record it tho. It seems to me I have to get this program to somehow recognize the line in port on the sound card, but I have no clue how to do that.

swapping the pci slot didn't work, it did work right on my old computer. I searched through my audio options and couldn't find anywhere an option to turn off the auto jack sensing, do you have any idea how to do that? Also, i tried a couple of tv programs and the sound worked and everything, it just didn't seem to want to tune everything in right, and they were kinda limited programs. Do you know of any good ones I could try? I got this card because it was really cheap, and I'm thinking of going and buying a better one, but I'd rather try to get this working right first. All I really want it for is recording a couple tv shows that I'm going to be missing now that I work nights.

Thanks alot for all the help you've given me so far, I can usually figure things out pretty good, but this one has me stumped.

hmm... ok.. a couple of things to try then..

swap the card into another pci slot and try again..
use another program thats compatible and try that...
try the card on another pc
try turning off auto jack sensing for the onboard audio..

those types of tv cards are anoying..i'd rather got a card that has both built into it.. but hey.. i'll try to think up some more ideas if it still dun work..

k.. well i just rememberd something.. i used to have a tv card with that layout before, made by pinnacle which seems to not want to work on my pc (just crashes..) and tech support was no help.. and that was before my mobo got fried.. but it works on the other one in the living room.. after my mobo got replaced with a different model it worked.. so i guessed it didnt like certain mobos.. but i already got a HDTV card on it already so it stayed in the other comp..

moral of my story is that the card may not like the mobo/vice versa (i know its strange but it is a pc..:)) so yeh... might be the issue with the integrated audio thing..

depending on how good you want and format + features + internal/external...

theres analogue :) that would be very cheap, just make sure you got one that has audio piped through the circuits instead of out the plug and back in.. they start from about 40$AU or so.. cant rememba..

or you might want digital :D, abit more priceyer than the analogue, but not much and damn you gota love the quality on those things :giddy:

having external usb units cost extra (they're usualy a mini dongle..), internal ones are pci.. some have like composite in/svidio in etc for old technology eg vcrs if you wnat to record them to your comp etc.. and other little nick nack features all add/subtract to the price..

some good brands: happauge, leadtech/winfast, visionplus/twinhann..

Hey, thanks for the help. I discovered that the problem is just with the program I use. I decided I'm just going to buy a new, nicer tv card that is bundled with a better program and stick the old one in my old computer. Again, thanks for all your help.

We will find a solution

TCool said:
I have onboard C-Media CMI988OL 7.1 audio. I'm not really sure if my problem is with this, but what is going on is that I have tv tuner card and when I go in the set up to set up the sound it does not give me the option of selecting the line in as the audio source, because I currently have a cable going from audio out on the tv card to line in on the onboard audio. When I plug in the cord to the onboard audio I get a pop-up on my computer that says that something was plugged in and shows me a picture of the jacks with options to select what that current jack is being used as. I select line in on the correct jack. My tv tuner is a EasyTV MPEG Philips SAA713XHL. I have read through the book on this, and my motherboard book for any information about the onboard audio and I have found nothing. I should also mention that I just got a new computer, and last week I had this same tv card in my old computer and it worked just fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much

Hi,

I have an Asus motherboard with the same audio system as yours. I have the same pb with an hauppauge TV card and am currently trying to find a solution. The first of us who finds tell the other, ok ?

:bounce:

TCool said:

Thanks much

thanks !
:bounce:

modulateur... can you give us a bit more info?
-tv card model? what type of audio does it use (onboard the card/jack out>in)
-program you're using..... etc etc..

I'll let ya know if I ever solve it, but right now I don't have much hope of doing that. I'm probably going to just buy a new better card.

There's not realy a driver for it.. its mainly the program/decoder you're after (since they come with some set of drivers in them..)

Look for KTV or Twinhann or something to play the TV stream.

YES IT IS. I've got it from CD, there is a driver for 4 win OS-es and an aplication software. It has 13MB. Every thing works, but audio is very low quality.

I have always problems with cheap stuff !!

hmm.. i just googled it.. Do you use the line out jack from the tv card then using a small cable > line in jack on your sound card? or does it go through the PC?

Try changing that audio cable to a better quality one..

you can try to see if one of these works better.. but its a completely different program.. http://www.twinhan.com/download_driver&software.asp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back