Avast AV taking too long to start

jimflint1

So I've had Avast AV free edition for years, and in the past it has pretty much initiated at bootup...no more than five minutes from the time I start my computer until the AV is up and running. That is until just a week or so ago. Since that time, it has been taking 20-30 minutes before it is fully up and running.

Any ideas as to what could be happening?

(Windows XP sp3)

Is it trying to do a scan when the computer is turned on?

I don't think so. I think it's trying to download updates because after the little popup message appears and a voice says "Virus database has been updated", it's ready to roll. Unfortunately, now it's taking 5-6 times longer than it was for that step to happen. If that's what's happening.

Try disabling automatic update, and then reboot the computer and see if that solves the issue.

If it does, I would recommend you reset your internet connection (modem/router), and clean up your temp internet files etc. Then try an update again and see if the performance changes.

If not, check your firewall settings. It should know to leave the update for your AV alone, but its possible the firewall is interfering with the AV updates.

Back