Averatec laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I've seen the stuff is cheap, but they pack a lot into what they sell.

I'm more concerned with reliability.

The brand name should speak for itself in that they offer "average" value minded PCs. That is not necessarily a bad thing, as Tedster mentions, I would look around for reliability ratings, other than that, if you are looking for a product in that segment and they are offering something that fits your needs, I wouldn't see a reason for not considering them.

Just read a review of the Averatec 4200 in PCAnswers 148 (August 2005).
Pentium-M 1.6GHz, 512MB, 13.3" WXGA widescreen, 4-in-1 cardreader, DVD burner, LAN & modem, 802.11G wireless, 3 USB2, PCcard slot, VGA out. 4 hrs battery life.
Intel 915Gm chipset is not good for gamers. The testers liked the screen though, said it was the next best thing to the Sony Vaio X-black.
It got a 4 out of 5 each for Ease of use, Features, Performance and Value for money. Overall 86%.
www.averatec.com
UK price: £849.-
And it looks good as well!

Hi, I was looking at the same laptop, I have been trying to buy one and have not been able to find a supplier here in the UK...

Is anyone familiar with any supplier that stock these laptops?

Thanks

Thanks but I am not in the armed forces. Any one else seen any of these laptops floating around in the Uk?

I have an AV2260. I'm into digital graphics and photography. I know nothing about gaming. I bought the 2260 for travel. I have an Alienware high horse-power workstation in the office, it doesn't travel well. There is no comparison but I was surprised at the speed of the 2260.

Pros: It's fast, the screen is above average. I took a quick look inside, it appears to be well built, aluminum frame, shock mounted HD. It's small and inexpensive. Wireless works well.

Cons: It's a battery hog, 2:15 Hrs is about right. The performance comes with a price. The warranty, see below.

Warranty: Before I bought I had heard that Averatec had um... warranty problems. I took a chance and lost. My machine is now being held hostage at a third party Repair Center in Texas.
Problem: After 4 months the battery would run the machine for little more than an hour. I pulled the battery out and found that battery had oozed a thick clear goo out around where the two plastic battery cases joined. Called Customer Service they said here's your RMA#, you pay to ship it to our Repair Center in Texas, they'll fix it, and they'll pay the shipping back.
Heard nothing for three weeks, called Customer Service, They said call the Repair Center, the Repair Center said it's not covered as 'I spilled thick clear liquid carefully around battery case'. Pay us $169.00 for new battery, diagnostic fee, shipping costs, and we'll send it back. Three hours tele time and a few E-mails later the verdict, Averatec wont fix it i.e. See ya latter chump.
I was flabbergasted. Could a company really think they can stay in businesses with that kind service?

Bottom-line: If you buy an Averatec consider the Averatec warranty as useless. Some stores sell their own " satisfaction guarantied " warranty. Get one. Good luck.

More info:The AV2260 is a re-marketed Twinhead H12K. Twinhead is a Taiwanese Co. manufacturing notebooks in China. Averatec re-markets MSI notebooks and others.
Computer Co.s are becoming psychotically paranoid about 'Li-ion battery problems'.

tell them you will contact the better business bureau, several national PC magazines, and then contact the federal trade commission as well as your state attorney general. That might wake them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back