AVG Update Can Cause Loss of Internet Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobbye

This recent update/upgrade v8.0.196 may be playing havoc.

A recent update of AVG's antivirus software knocked out some people's Internet connection. AVG's support page indicates that after upgrading to AVG version 8.0.196, your network link may fail.

1. Reboot first
2. If this doesn't solve the issue follow the instructions on AVG's support page to download the fixfiles.zip file to your computer and Save to desktop. Double-click the .zip file to open it, and then double-click fixfiles.exe in the resulting folder to run the utility.
3. If the glitch persists, the company recommends that you run a repair installation of your AVG app.
4. If reinstalling your antivirus software doesn't get you back online, AVG advises that you contact the company's support desk for further instructions.

http://www.avg.com/support#tba1

(Source: Windows Secrets)
I am posting this here, and on the Windows Software and Windows OS forums as the problem may show up on any if these.

You're welcome. Just ran into someone who had this happen to his customer. Ended up uninstalling, reinstalling AVG>

Yes, AVG has had it's share of problems, especially since th release of version 8. But I still recommend it to my customers. I've had others who had update problems with Symantec-Norton and McAfee. Anti-virus programs are very complex and tricky. It's not a surprise they have update problems or compatibility issues. It just goes with the territory. Also, the personal version of AVG is freeware, so you get what you pay for. Nonetheless,

I still stand by AVG (unless these issues get out of hand!)

-- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back