Awesomely ridiculous question: Placing motherboard in case

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, the motherboard is a GA-P35-DS3L (new, everything was in the box). I don't really think case is necessary, since the problem isn't fitting it, it's because I don't know anything about placing the board into the case. The board isn't actually touching the bottom of the case, because the CPU fan and the bottoms of some other other prongs are holding it up, but I'm pretty sure there's more to it, especially because the video card has that piece of metal at the end that hangs over the edge of the board. Is there something else that goes under the board, and if not, what happens with the video card?

You must insert either metal (brass) or plastic standoffs between the bottom of the motherboard and the case.

You must carefully observe where the motherboard's screw-holes are, and then place a standoff in the case at the corresponding location.

Standoffs usually come with the case, in the little bag consisting of screws and whatnot.

IMG_6805.jpg

STANDOFF2large.jpg

Most cases require standoffs between the case and the motherboard. The standoffs separate them prevent any electrical shorting between the board and the metal case as well as ensuring proper alignment with the I/O panel and expansion slots at the back of the case.

Your case should have come with standoffs, usually made of brass, steel or sometimes plastic. The metal standoffs thread into the pre-tapped holes in the side case panel and screws are used to fasten the motherboard onto each of the standoffs. It would be rare that a case doesn't supply any hardware package but I suppose it could happen. Standoffs and the various screws needed to assemble the components into your case can be bought separately if need be.

Edit: Rats, Grafficks beat me to it.

How do I secure them to the board? Which end should face up, and how do I secure the screw side?

Also, are there any good ways to put the I/O plate in? I can't figure this thing out.

And now I have other questions, but for some reason I need to have 5 posts to post links, so now I just have to use this spam message so I can use specifics to get help. Is there actually a point to this?

If you have brass motherboard standoffs, they should be hole-side up. topic6948 on these boards (I can't post links yet either) tells you just what you need.

You'll find it easier to attach the I/O plate before installing the motherboard, and doing from the inside-out.

If you're running your case negative-pressure style (all exhaust, no intake), and you really don't want to dust it once a month or so, the I/O plate, some well-placed tape, and perhaps some dust-filtering mesh will serve you well. Otherwise, the plate is not necessary, just cosmetic.

Let me add, the holes in the board are threaded so you can screw in the standoffs. Don't overtighten them. There will probably be more holes than your motherboard needs. Yours uses seven. Two along the top, three in the middle and two along the bottom. Just match up the holes the motherboard needs and use standoffs in them only.

I think the rest has been covered already but ask if you are unclear on any details.

Unless your case is damaged the I/O plate that comes with the motherboard should pop right in (from the inside). You have to remove the one that comes with the case first, of course. The original one is never really used. When you say tape it to the sides, it's not clear what you mean. You could leave the plate out altogether if you wanted but it would leave the back of you PC with an unfinished look. It would still work though.

the video card has that piece of metal at the end that hangs over the edge of the board.
Which end of the video card are you talking about? What video card do you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back