Backup fails

macx

I have backed up all my files, but not the operating system itself.
Called mirror?

Tried WD backup app with a Passport Ultra external drive and the
backup software wouldn't work.

Recently have tried using the built in Win 7 backup and it starts but
then it fails. No reason given that's of any help.

I've tried shutting off all security apps. I did see a suggestion to try
CHKDSK but couldn't get it to work as suggested.

Thanks for any help.

When I couldn't any backup app to work, I did it the old fashioned way. I closed all apps except Windows and just copied everything else to the external drive. Of course not the most convenient, and the op system itself isn't backed up.
If I could get the Win7 built in backup to work, it appears that backs up everything, incl the op system, which is the goal.

Frankly, I've preferred the COPY technique for decades for precisely this issue. I can get delta file movement instead of all-or-nothing using good applications, such as Allway Sync. If necessary to recover from a total failure, I can install a fresh copy of the OS (any version I choose) and then bulk copy the backups onto the new system.

Any backup app will not understand your COPIED files and thus never recover for you - - you need to do that for yourself.

I would prefer to be able to use the Win 7 backup to make a mirror of Windows as well
as backing up the files, etc.

I just tried again and it got over 50% complete but failed when it
got to making a mirror of Restore (or something long that line).

I had checked the destination drive with CKDISK per a recomendation
from the Win 7 backup app when it failed the first time.

My computer recognizes the drive, it has a letter, and everything seems
to go well until it gets to that Restore point.

Appreciate any insight into how I can correct that situation.

Have you considered: Even though you may have a full backup image of the HD, if the system will not boot, just HOW the heck can you run any windows based restore?

My computer recognizes the drive, it has a letter, and everything seems
to go well until it gets to that Restore point.

Appreciate any insight into how I can correct that situation.
I would assume that you must be logged on as ADMIN to even read the Restore Point, so log in as such to create ALL Backups.

Back