Bad PCIe Slot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so this is my first post here so hey guys!

I have been having trouble figuring out what the problem with my setup is. The computer will freeze, give me a BSOD and restart without warning. This only happens when playing games, namely WoW. At first I thought it was the PSU, i tried switching it out with my roommates (who has not had this problem) and the blue screens still continued. So I finally thought I had figured it out when I took out my video card (radeon x1300) and used the onboard graphics. No more restarts...no problems whatsoever, except for the poor performance of onboard graphics of course.

So today I received a new x1650 pro in the mail and I rush to install it, missing the performance greatly. Well an hour or so into playing...bam, blue screen again, same exact situation as the previous setup.

So could this be a bad motherboard, or PCIe slot? The system performs flawlessly with onboard graphics, and will perform fine with the video card, it will just randomly blue screen and restart about once every couple hours when playing games.

My System:

Mobo: BioStar Geforce 6100, using the nforce 410 sb
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Socket 939
RAM: (2) 512mb pc3200 ultra
PSU: 450w no name brand im guessing...came with case
Vid Card: first was Asus x1300, second try is sapphire x1650 pro

Well guys, sorry for the long winded first post, but I think I got all the info in there, hopefully someone can offer me some insight.

- Daniel

I'll bet your cheapo generic PSU is failing.... also test your RAM with memtest 86+..

replace your PSU.

As stated in my first post, I have switched power supplies with a known working one, and the problem still occured. Yes, I know, I should replace the PSU really no matter what, with a quality one. But to find the root of the problem, I have pretty much ruled out the PSU as the problem.

RAM has been tested with Memtest86+ (passed 10 times)
HDD has been tested with DFT (passed)
Also ran PC-Check, which the mobo, cpu, and memory all passed on.

I have almost decided to just RMA the mobo, and go ahead and upgrade my mobo/cpu/memory and then once the mobo comes back then have a spare comp I guess. I would still like to know if anyone can offer some insight?

- Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back