Badass 8800 GTX Problem :(((((

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently custom built a computer with a MSI 8800 GTX 768 MB Factory over clocked to 610 mhz

comp specs

Intel Core 2 Quad
4 GB RAM
320 GB HDD
2 120mm rear case fans
750 Watt Cooler Master Power supply

The card over heats...it sits at 80 degrees celsius @ IDLE

when im not doing anything!!

just browsing through the internet...i cant believe this..this is way to hot for an idle temperature.

when it plays games...it goes up..to like 87 ish and my computer freezes and i have to fore it to shut down.

This is SUPER S UPER urgent as i have spent about 500 bucks on that GTX and its overheating.. Can someone help me??

Cooling Solutions???

Please this is ANNOYING..and i am suffering as i cannot get ANY work done..because the computer just shuts down on me....GRRRRRRRRRR

If someone can come up with a solution..that would be GREAT tongue.gif

PS: I have to UNDERCLOCK the damn card to about 300 mhz to even get the temp to 70 celsius..please someone help1!!!

it may be something to do with airflow, I had to buy an aftermarket cooler to get my temps down, not I get up to 65C at load most of the time. Not enough air moving across the card I bet. Also, what's the ambient temp in the room. If its around 80F or close dont expect to get 50C on that card even at idle.

Send it back. If the card does that now and it's new, it'll be dead in a year even if we tell what to do with case cooling and stuff.

My card did that when it was new. You have to have this chard to understand, its a problem with the fan not running at 100% passed 65C. He can send it back if he wants, but he'll probably have the same issue. These cards normally run at 70C in benchmarks. Its not a 7series card that can run at 45C at idle.

supersmashbrada said:
My card did that when it was new. You have to have this chard to understand, its a problem with the fan not running at 100% passed 65C. He can send it back if he wants, but he'll probably have the same issue. These cards normally run at 70C in benchmarks. Its not a 7series card that can run at 45C at idle.

but does your card crash alot?
what temp is it at @ idle

my card did crash a lot when i first got it, its a problem with the drivers, you're going to encounter it whether you switch cards or not. The stock fan wont go to 100% when it gets hot. My card use to crash at 75C, but it rarily gets to 70C now.

The stock heatsink is so bad at dissapating heat. If you took the stock cooler off you would know what I'm saying. I wound up getting a thermalrite hr-03. The biggest problem is that although the heatsink is large, and its trying to suck up the heat from the card, THE WHOLE heatsink is still right up against it, so the heat really goes nowhere.

Even if my card reaches 75c+ now it still wont shut down because although its running that hot, the heat exchange is so fast with the air around it wont effect it much.

supersmashbrada said:
my card did crash a lot when i first got it, its a problem with the drivers, you're going to encounter it whether you switch cards or not. The stock fan wont go to 100% when it gets hot. My card use to crash at 75C, but it rarily gets to 70C now.

The stock heatsink is so bad at dissapating heat. If you took the stock cooler off you would know what I'm saying. I wound up getting a thermalrite hr-03. The biggest problem is that although the heatsink is large, and its trying to suck up the heat from the card, THE WHOLE heatsink is still right up against it, so the heat really goes nowhere.

Even if my card reaches 75c+ now it still wont shut down because although its running that hot, the heat exchange is so fast with the air around it wont effect it much.

hmm should i get the hr-03 or a side fan next to it

theyre about the same price.

and if i install the hr-03 ill have to take apart my graphics card right?
and replace the sink

you'll just have to take off the heatsink, which is basically the big black thing. lol. You can go to the gallery and check out my pics. I took them as I was taking mine apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back