Bare VS Retail Kits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to TechSpot

Bare is just that, the article in a plastic bag, without mounting hardware, instructions or anything.
Retail includes packaging, instructions, mounting hardware (and a cooler when it is a CPU), drivers if any etc.
Bare is cheaper most of the time, useful if you do DIY.

Usually you see 3 different Classifications of parts; Retail, Bulk and OEM.

OEM usually means it has no manual and packed very minimally. No fancy packaging or anything like that.

For a processor OEM means you will get the processor and that is it. Bulk is almost the same thing for a processor. Bulk usually mean it came out of a carton or a box of parts that were all the same. Retail for a processor usually means that the processor may have a small pamplet explaining how to install or what the settings may be and that it probably comes with a heatsink and fan.

Hard drives are a little different. OEM is usually just the bard hard drive. It may be in an anti-static bag. Most hard drives that I have seen come in an antistatic bag. The OEM variety just come bare with no drivers or anything else. They have a sticker on the drive explaining the setting you need to know. Bulk may be just the same more or less. Retail for a hard drive usually means that it comes with a driver disk that may have the drive utilities on it or a special setup disk. It may also come with a cable and some mounting screws.

Most motherboards have enough cables for the hard drives and optical drives. Most computer cases come with the mounting hardware which contains suitable screws for a hard drive and the motherboard as well.

Some other devices like a video card will come with a driver disk or two even though they may be bulk or OEM.

This is why I like to shop at www.newegg.com/
Normally at new egg they show you the books and drivers disks that come with a product and pictures of the product that are pretty thorough.

Bulk and OEM are basically the same thing. Often bulk parts come in a tray or a carton or a case. In the past I have seen a tray full of processors displayed in a glass case for sale. I purchased my last processor as retail and the CPU cooler worked quite well.

OEM/Bulk hardware never has the same warranty conditions as Retail parts. It's better to get retail parts for the warranty alone.

Thanks guys, there is no difference in the procesor or hard drive in sense of how they work right. Its just one is prettied up and the other is just what you wanted without the bow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back