Barton with 133 FSB ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didou

The Barton is basicly a TBred with twice the L2 cache ( 512kb ) but lately the TBreds have been going on a 166 FSB.

AFAIK, the AMD-760MPX platform doesn't support such an FSB.

Will there be 133 FSB Barton CPUs or will AMD ditch the AthlonXP for MP platforms ?

The extra L2 cache in the Barton will most likely show the most benefit in a dual CPU system so I don't think AMD won't support that platform.

The Athlonmps also have a higher price premium compared to the same speed Athlonxp, which is another way of getting better profit per chip.

On the other hand, I think the 760mpx chipset is only a filler for until another company such as Via, SiS or even nVIDIA is willing to provide a dual CPU chipset itself.

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1752&p=2
Today AMD announced the name of their ClawHammer processor - Athlon XP 64. At the same keynote they had nForce2 motherboards running with a 400MHz FSB. We just received confirmation (although AMD won't announce it until much later) that Barton will be shipping with a 400MHz FSB and the performance boost from the new FSB is pretty healthy. On current processors the use of a 400MHz FSB will improve performance anywhere from 0 - 15% on the nForce2 platform, obviously depending on the benchmark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back