Battery tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

erwin1978

Is there a battery tester that can tell me how much more milliamps a battery holds. I just got some rechargeable NIMH 1850 and I don't if my charger is charging the batteries to full capacity or not.

Perhaps using a battery tester might help. Or why not use a multimeter, by this way you can measure milliamphere, amphere and voltage all in one package? But sometimes multimeters don't come cheap.

if you really concerned about them getting to full capacity and you can connect the batteries in series you might consider buying a peak charger. The way they work is they charge the batteries until there is a really small decrease in voltage - indicating overcharging - and they stop. Here is a link to one such charger. That thing will charge anywhere between 1 and 8 at a time (unless you are trying to charge 9V batteries) and should take between 5 and 20 minutes to fully charge.

Yes a good multimeter is not cheap at all. I would recommend a FLUKE though as they are quality and manufactured by a well-known company.

There has to be a way to make your own voltmeter. I know I have seen it done before.

I have a very nice one that cost me $90 (US), and it does everything I need it to. Only problem is that it is more than most people would like to spend. I know you can find one for around $20, but I wouldn't gauruntee they will work well.

I"m going to do some research on making your own VOM and post back.

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Yes a good multimeter is not cheap at all. I would recommend a FLUKE though as they are quality and manufactured by a well-known company.

I'll second that. Fluke is one of the best but they are overpriced in my opinion. Triplet meters are good as well. I use both brands and don't have much preference of one over the other.

I paid $90 for my Analog Triplet and $400 for my Fluke Digital w/capacitor and diode check functions built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back