Being sure it's the cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

A friend of mine's eMachines went south the other day. I tested the power supply: it was shot. Installed one of my spares, the power light on the mobo lit, but the on/off switch had no effect. Tested everything one at a time, and it came down to mobo or processor.

I installed an MSI I knew was good, replaced her RAM with a known good stick of mine, and fired it up. Here's the problem: it POSTs, Windows loads, all is fine for say, a minute. Then the fan on the heatsink steps down, then steps down again, then shuts completely off, but the processor is still sending a signal, as the Windows activation page stays loaded and is active.

Tried this three times, changed all processor settings in the BIOS (fail-safe defaults, optimum defaults. etc.) all with no change. I told her the processor probably went along with the PSU, but I'm hoping an expert can shed some light, as I always thought the thermal protection would shut down the hsf AND the processor.

Any help?? :confused:

rather not

CrossFire851 said:
You may need to flash the BIOS, before it will like the new cpu.

That baord and I have an uncomfortable history with BIOS flashes. One went horribly wrong, and I had to send it back to eSupport and have tham do it. It has been sitting since then. When the BIOS screen came up the first time, it did say "CPU has changed. Adjust (I think) the BIOS settings. I couldn't find any "adjustments" that seemed applicable. Did I miss something?

I still don't understand the gradual stepping down and stopping of the CPU fan- BIOS???

I really don't relishing another flash. :eek:

Well if you will not flash then take the CPU to you're local repaire shop and they will test it for you for a few bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back