Best Buy offers Windows 7 'PC home makeover'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Like everyone else in the industry, HP and Best Buy are gearing up for the launch of Windows 7 tomorrow. The two have teamed up to offer customers a pretty respectable deal on a "PC Home Makeover" that consists of a new desktop (monitor included), laptop, netbook, router, and a "seamless in-home setup" by Geek Squad for $1,200.

The desktop is an HP Slimline s5212y outfitted with a dual-core 2.5GHz Intel Pentium E5200 CPU and GMA 3100 graphics, 3GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, 320GB 7200RPM HDD, DVD burner, six-in-one card reader, the usual connectivity and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. That also includes a USB keyboard and mouse, as well as an 18.5" 1366x768 display (model w1858) which has integrated 2W speakers.

The laptop is a similarly equipped G60-535DX which has a 15.6" WXGA screen, 2.1GHz Intel Pentium T4300 and GMA 4500M graphics, 3GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB 5400RPM HDD, DVD burner, five-in-one media reader, six-cell battery and Windows 7 Home Premium. Meanwhile the netbook is a standard 10.1" Atom-powered device with 1GB RAM, 160GB HDD and Windows 7 Starter.

As mentioned, also included is a Netgear 802.11g router (model WGR614), and Geek Squad will setup a secure home network with all your new devices connected. Granted, none of the machines are powerhouses, but they're certainly suitable for basic uses like Web browsing or school work.

Permalink to story.

That actually seems like a very good deal, if you ask me. Of course we'll do much better by building the PC's ourselves, searching around for the best parts, but for someone who doesn't care or doesn't know about it, it's quite reasonable. The installation/configuration of the equipment and network is a plus too.

For non-gamers it's an interesting opportunity to start using 7 with shiny new machines!

This sounds like a good deal for someone that doesn't know anything about computers or anybody that does. For me "seamless in-home setup" by Geek Squad makes me gag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back