Best & Fastest SATA HDD for OS only..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deviouz

can any of you guys recommend what would be the Best & Fastest SATA HDD for running a windows XP or Vista OS on..?? i want to have like a 20-50GB HDD just for the OS and have a 500GB HDD for Personal Data ect..?? can anyone recommend anything for this type of setup..??

Good suggestion is to grab SATA Raid.

You can put your 80 GB in first drive and rest of it can running up with you all together. like if you have 80GB, 250GB, 500GB... when plugged into RAID board, it will make computer think all this drives into one. THat is, 830GB.

If you want to use it for lag-free gaming, i recommend you Western Digital Raptor 74.4GB (running at 10,000 RPM)

The Seagate packed the best sata hdd in the market.... 750GB SATA II. ^^

Yeah, the Raptor drives are the fastest single drives out there. I think the 150GB is faster than the 37GB and 74GB, but they are very expensive.

Seagate's new line of perpendicular storage hdds have pretty good latency times, though they do run warmer than a standard drive. They are less expensive than a Raptor. If I remember corretly they come in 250, 340, and 750GB flavors.

SATA II is the 3.0Gb/s right..???
Im not a PC gamer at all but I'm mostly into multimedia editing with needs for lots of media storage.
right now i have a 500GB Maxtor SATA II HDD and a 200GB Maxtor ATA HDD hooked up into one PC.
the 500GB HDD has a 5GB Partition just for the XP OS on it which is beginning to seem like a mistake for making it so small. so thats why i want like a 50GB or so HDD just for the OS so it can operate on its own special drive, and the other drives can be solely for media storage..

Tough to find a fast drive that small. HERE is a good 80GB SATA II drive that is very in expensive. Couple that with a couple of 500GB drives and you will have plenty of storage.

SATA II (3.0Gb/s) has twice the transfer capability of a Sata I (1.5Gb/s). That being said your mobo does need to support sata II, otherwise it will run at sata I speed (it is backward compatible).

HERE is an article you can use as a comparison.

deviouz re: post #6, u can partition the 500gb hd to increase the 5gb of os xp running on it without reformattin ur hd. simply use patition magic or if u knoe how to partition using the winxp disc use that to increase the space. save money on buying tons N tons of HD.

Yes my MOBO support SATA II (3.0Gb/s)
codez13579, i thought about that, but I'd really like to just have a small sized HDD just for the OS.
50-80GB HDD for the OS an 2 500GB HDD's for storage is what i had in mind.
my first 500GB HDD is getting pretty full so thats why i need a new drive.. just one for the OS and another 500GB HDD for more storage..
then comes my next question about power supply units.. what would be a suitable one for this setup im going to do.??
1*200GB ATA MAXTOR HDD
2*500GB SATA II (3.0Gb/s) HDD's
1*50-80GB SATA II (3.0Gb/s) HDD for the OS

is there a way to check what the PSU wattage i have is from within windows ?? and also what the PC is currently using up too.??

Nope. You can see the wattage on the PSU itself, but that number is probably a round lie. You can get the exact wattage of your PSU only if someone has bothered to benchmark it.

Easiest way to see what your PC is drawing is to buy one of those cheap wattmeters and hook it up between your PC and the wall socket. Now you just have to figure out what the efficiency of your PSU is :) Usually it's some 70%, but better ones may go over 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back