Best program to play all videotypes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To play all popular types, you have to stick with WMP since other players have occasional problems with wmv videos (and sadly there are too many of those out there). Other that that I would recommend BSPlayer (lots of features and almost bug free :p , has proper ogm support) or VLC Client (unfinished and lots of bugs but supports many formats).

In my experience DivX Player was a resource hog and tended to choke bringing down the whole machine sometimes but I haven't tried the latest versions.

I personally use Windows Media Player 9 and QuickTime 6.5. Plays basically everything except for Real media files, which I never download anyway.

RealPlayer plays everything (nearly everything - doesn't play Quicktime), but it constantly tries to go online making it a real pain. Windows Media Player 9 is my personal favourite at this time (I haven't tried all the others yet) as it never crashes (not yet anyways) and is widely supported. Basically, if you have the correct codecs installed, most of these tools will cope well with the various types of media formats available.

Playing ALL video types probably isn't going to happen for any freeware video player.

Software developers usually have to pay license fees for using other comapany's codec technology. Formats such as quicktime and realplayer cost money and freeware players simply aren't going to exist for as long as the developer has to pay licensing fees.

WMPlayer and the proper codecs - should be find except Quicktime and Real. Real Player will never be installed on any PC of mine - and I hate how CPU intensive Quicktime Player is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back